Solvang / Santa Ynez / Los Olivos / Buellton

This is brilliant! Thanks, @chewchow!

We’re arriving super late on Friday so we’ll have to scavenge for dinner.

Had the last seating at Bell’s on Saturday, but an E-mail to the team asking for earlier cancellations and they had an opening at 6PM we took instead.

Will try to to Preidite on Sunday because he’s had a craving for beef ribs lately.

Going to use your guide to build the rest of our itinerary while I “work” tomorrow…err…today.

1 Like

Only burgers :hamburger: on Sunday at Priedite. I’ll bet they’re good.

Coast Range open til 10pm.

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me that I need to post our last northern visit @attran99! This past year has been crazy busy but we managed to do a few fun things. :wink: Ate really well in SB and went to Los Olivos to Fess Parker for tastings. We also love @Nemroz favorite, Demetria Estate - delicious biodynamic wines and beautiful views. Stayed at the same charming Airbnb in the SB Mountains overlooking the valleys.

Have a beautiful trip!

3 Likes

Bar Le Cote for the win!

3 Likes

Demetria is a gem!

We loved our stop there on the way to Cambria.

3 Likes

Same here. Love Demetria! It’s the only wine club I currently belong to. April shipment should arrive any day now.

1 Like

It was so chill when we started going there some 16 or so years ago. The father ran it, it wasn’t very popular yet. Cases of Pantheon were always on special. Still a beautiful, fun place and Alexis is great.

2 Likes

We had a great weekend out this way.

Thanks, @chewchow, for your recs!

Coast Range was still open after we got into town and checked into our B&B. @cookiemonster ForFriends Inn was very quaint and welcoming.

Coast Range was a nice respite from the long drive. Nice cocktails, great salads, and a French onion soup that wasn’t too salty and tasted of caramelized onions. The steak tartare was okay, but I quite enjoyed the asparagus with tomato hollandaise.

We took advantage of the window with light rain to explore Solvang, before heading to Los Olivos We hit Storm and Samsara…you were right about the pinots from Storm @chewchow. Made purchases at both spots as the rains got heavier.

Bell’s was just great. We were treated exceptionally well by the team there. Sergio was not in the house as she was at an event in Ojai.

Santa Barbara Sea Urchin - I could probably eat half a dozen of these things and be perfectly happy

Cream of celery soup - served cold and was surprisingly delicious and highlighted the olive oil drizzle

House bread service and salad - I thought the salad was a touch overdressed

Kanpachi Crudo - of the starters, this was the winner…solid fish that shone brighter because of the lovely citrus and vinaigrette

Ranch Lamb

Egg en croûte

Wild turbot - solid dish that screams spring

Steak au Poivre - I didn’t get one fry so I’m guessing they were good…the coulotte seemed a touch tough

Chocolate budino - like a luscious dark chocolate pudding and chocolate mousse had a love child…I don’t even like chocolate and I loved this version because it was not too sweet

Honey Ice Cream - I’m presuming this was good and great with the fries because I didn’t get any

Red Hawk - very nice cheese course that had peanut butter and jelly vibes between the pistachio shortbread and the orange marmalade

Chocolate truffles

Dinner was paired with a red from Lebanon that was bold and drank nice with the food and by itself. It was an untraditional pairing selected by Mike, the GM, based on wines we like drinking.

I can’t remember the last time I left a tasting menu so incredibly full.

Probably worth noting that our server, Alan, met my cousin in NYC earlier in the year and Sergio and my cousin go back to their days working at Brooklyn Fare. We got to chat up with the team and received extra courses.

Nonetheless, it was a great meal and the team is firing on all cylinders. That kitchen is super small and it’s a miracle that they can execute this kind of food at a high level. I can’t wait to come back and try lunch…and another dinner.

Grabbed cookies to bring home as gifts on our way home and found that we liked the thumbprints at Mortenson’s the most. Picked up buckets from Olsen’s. If there’s a preferred bakery, happy to try that soon…I’m headed out this way again for a friends’ birthday trip.

9 Likes

Fabulous getaway! Thanks for sharing @attran99.

2 Likes

Genevieve and Mattei’s is next on our list because of you.

Not having spent much time here before, I wasn’t aware of how close all the towns are to each other.

1 Like

I think someone else recommended those restaurants as I haven’t been to either. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hotel recommendations were from this Cookie :slightly_smiling_face: :cookie:

And yes, the towns are not far apart at all. Wineries are spread out so one has to plan for that. Last time I went up there we were a group of six and we hired a driver for the day. Totally worth it.

4 Likes

My bad…corrected above.

Thanks, @cookiemonster!

Excellent choices!

1 Like