South Bay Staples

Wuttt I gotta go if they make their own soondae daily I’m a soondse fiend

1 Like

I snapped a menu pic

2 Likes

Lol. No cash. Like someone said, hopefully Zelle or Venmo or I’m out of luck.

Ok, so we just went to Otafuku. :exploding_head:. Everything is so expertly made. The prices feel expensive but the portions are huge. Grilled squid was so fresh and had amazing “snap.” Their sauces and dips are consistently excellent - flavorful and aromatic without being too salty. Both boys had the katsu and egg rice bowl. Huge portion. They said the katsu was the best they’ve ever had and so juicy. Wife had hot udon. Have you love the in house made noodles. My cold white soba hit the spot. It really was like a hybrid of udon and soba. The star though was the shrimp tempura add on. Two day shrimp and I’ll take their batter, frying technique and sauce over anyone in the South Bay, Carlos Tendon included. Next time we’re getting the eel tempura. In case you can’t tell, we’ll be back and thank you so much for the rec!

6 Likes

Otafuku up until a couple of years ago used to be cash only lol. Glad you enjoyed it that place is good.

Went back to the 110 pch night market

Got me some asada tacos and some Al vapor cachette and cabeza

8 Likes

It pains me to say this but pretty confident I can issue the downhill alert for Full House Plus. The original owner departed under mysterious circumstances a couple months ago. Today we went and the soups were no longer as chock full of veggies and meats. Most importantly, the broth for the spicy seafood soup is thin/watery, lost all depth of flavor and I suspect has MSG now. For now, the actual noodles remain excellent but I’m afraid it’s a matter of time… Really sucks bc it’s one of my favorite places and I’m hoping it was just a bad day but I’m not optimistic.

8 Likes

Tigres Fuego/Baran bacon breakfast burrito. Very good salsas too. Probably one of the best breakfast burrito in the South Bay

7 Likes

Piping hot bran muffin on the house at The Kettle.

Maisons chicken soup is really freaking good. You can’t eat spicy garlic all the time

7 Likes

I’m usually a Maison special salad person mix in extra spinach or salad from store. Eat that probably once a week.

4 Likes

Pit Burger. Double teri burger, chopped and small chicken bowl.

Good char on these babies with a sweet teriyaki sauce. This is a LA hood classic! Everyone comes to Pit Burger. Also they got Orange BANG!

Caps N Corks. Not bad I wish there was a little more cheese on these breakfast burritos.

3 Likes

We love caps and corks. You can ask for the breakfast burrito but swap their usual meat with asada or pollo. It’s damn good.

Tacos el Goloso heard it might be good but a hard pass. Birria was ropey, no flavor, and kinda wet dry, wasn’t really a queso taco cheese was just melted not carmelized and crispy on tortilla and soup/ salsa were not flavorful

1 Like

Ugh. Thanks for taking one for the team.

1 Like

Yeah this was pretty bad my experience mirrors yours. La Unica is still the best in LA.

2 Likes

Also I did drive by PCH/Fig and the 110 in the afternoon on the way to LBC. Looks like some legit stuff.

1 Like

Yeah if you’re gonna make a stop go on a weekend night that’s when it’s super popping.

1 Like

What’s everyone’s Jus Poke order?

4 Likes

I usually rotate between 3 flavors-

Spicy, shoyu, and California roll. I used to do original a lot but not so much anymore.

Never get rice since I can get that at home spicy edamame and Aunty pickles.

1 Like

Sometimes time you gotta just get some old school tex mex. Original red onion!

4 Likes

Pocha 88 in Gardena. Fun joint. Head banging Korean dance music - think lots of Psy / Gangnam Style. I’m not a Korean bar food expert, but we had a nice meal of old favorites… Grilled rice cake and sausage skewers. Kimchi pancake. Fried chicken wings. Fishcake soup. Tteokbokki with ramen and cheese. Everything was good. I probably prefer CM Chicken’s wings and fishcake soup but this menu is far more diverse!

5 Likes

King Mediterrano

Damn dude. This place is insanely good.

Made to order. Got the King Bowl, half rice half salad, chicken kebab and sharwma. Juicy and flavorful. That garlic sauce (extra) is better than Zankou.

3 Likes