South Bay Staples

Amazon does $1bn+ per day in sales. Give us some extra crispy bacon. It’s the least we deserve.

8 Likes

It really is the most inconsistent product on the planet. Sometimes they have the really thin stuff, some days thick. Some days I’ve gone it’s so crispy it crumbles in your mouth. Other days, limp.

2 Likes

They can certainly bring home the bacon. Now ask them to fry it up in a pan.

3 Likes

I was watching Bon Appetit a few days ago, and they said that, for best results, they bake it on a rack!!! I never make bacon, but it does make sense (and this method was totally new to me).

1 Like

For years I used to bake it on a rack. It’s terrific. But I now bake it on a a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.

I like it better.

1 Like

On the rare days they even have it at our local WF, it’s that really thin kind that’s not even cooked crisp and hardly worth eating – much like what used to be found in the cheapest breakfast buffets here in Vegas. We call it “tissue bacon”. Some years ago, before the party was over, WF served high-quality, thick, crispy bacon. I miss those days.

2 Likes

I blame myself. I used to load up there.

3 Likes

Kansha Creamery. Probably my favorite ice cream right now. Am totally addicted to the peanut butter cookie with strawberry ribbon. I can’t quite describe it but the texture / mouthfeel is simply delightful. A bit more on the icy / milky side, though not overly so.

9 Likes

Miches de la baja in Torrance. Came for the fish tacos and shrimp tacos (which were ok) but the real winner was the michelada, they have a variety of miches with fruit, tamarind, spicy and sour.

Nice patio and a great place for a hot day or a late night

8 Likes

Will be down this way for work more often. Going to start visiting all these recommended places. Hit up Tendon Tempura Carlos Junior today. My first experience at an actual Tempura restaurant. I was here for it. Got the shrimp tempura plate. Yum. Where should I go next?

11 Likes

Kagura, Otafuku, Torihei, and Izakaya Hachi :grin:

13 Likes

Wadatsumi for beef bowls or chirashi bowl
Kagura for katsu
Ichimi-Ann for soba
Fukagawa for Japanese breakfast (11am - 2pm)
Spoon House for wafu pasta
Hasu Izakaya for yakitori
Curryfornia for Japanese curry (takeout only)

Baekjeong for KBBQ
Wooga Sullungtang for galbi-jjim, sullungtang, yukgaejang, and other Korean dishes.

Fishing With Dynamite for seafood excellence and the best damn key lime pie in SoCal.

15 Likes

Should have mentioned mostly lunch time**

1 Like

The one in Gardena, inside Tokyo Central, opens at 10:30am.

3 Likes

I defer to other experts like @thechez5. My only contribution can be for beers and dessert.
Monkish for world class hazy IPA. Go when Felice catering is there. Great pizza.
El Segundo for world class West Coast IPAs. Cannot speak to the pint and slice place or the pizza.
Kansha Creamery for innovative Asian leaning flavors and tasty ice cream.
Chantilly Patisserie for the best cream puffs and wonderful pristine pastries
Hisaya Chestnuts for what else chestnuts. The really good roasted Japanese ones.

8 Likes

Hardly an expert! :smile:

May I add to your great list… the cakes and other desserts at Nagomi Cake House in Gardena are the best, imo.

4 Likes

Also try the tendon there too not to be missed

1 Like

Nagomi Cake House also has that Coffee Jelly drink.
I just went to Torrance bakery on Western and got those maple and pecan chews and the chocolate chews! so good!

3 Likes

I think the pizza is really good at Slice & Pint! Maybe it’s not a destination spot but for casual NY style to go with beer and beach air it’s dope. I basically never go to actual ESBC anymore, because I just go to S&P.

1 Like

Great to hear. No better combo than pizza and beer. I was working in El Segundo but switched jobs right before Slice & Pint opened. Will have to make the trek one day.

RIP Il Romanista the goatest :goat:.

5 Likes