South Bay Staples

Yeah :person_shrugging: let me know what you hear back from them!

The 110 pch night market is getting crazy busy which is awesome.

La compita asada still smoky and delicious. They also started selling Al pastor on the plancha but that didn’t really pique my interest.

A newish vendor is selling tacos Al vapor I had a cachete and cabeza both were super tender and well cooked but slightly under seasoned. Will try them again next time though because I love al vapor.

Been wanting to try a stand that sells fried Oaxacan enchiladas but they were sold out. Will report back!

6 Likes

Which stands do you go to?

Farm stands or taco stands?

Sorry, taco stands! I’ve always wanted to go but just haven’t had time.

You gotta read the posts I identify them lol.

But start with la compita and see which ones are busy/pique your interest and go from there.

Lol fair. I saw La Campita but was curious about the other two you didn’t identify!

Rieras still really good

Prime pizza El segundo I asked for extra toasted on the square and it worked out great although they overcooked my first one

5 Likes

I need to get back to Rieras. They close too early, so hard to make it there. I really enjoy their square slices as well.

1 Like

I didn’t love their square slices the last time I had them but the sandwiches are fantastic!

Can they extra toast an entire pie?

1 Like

i believe you can order it extra cooked on toast tab. Had some more last night lol

I am now an east coast pizza snob so I’ll be the judge of Prime Pizza.

@fattydumplin have you tried the breakfast burrito at Aunties Cafe with the Portuguese Sausage and housemade salsa? Better than Phannys imo. I like Chori-Man’s chorizo but both Phannys and Chori-Man need to put that breakfast burrito a minute or so on the flat. It’s good but so floppy lol

2 Likes

I will have to try aunties never heard of it!

1 Like

What are your favorite Hawaiian spots in the South Bay? Also have you had the maldadas at Sidecar?

1 Like

Malasadas at sidecar are hit and miss for me depending on how recently they came out of the oil. Some of the fillings are not my speed. Maybe I am biased since I like the huckleberrry, butter salt and old fashioned so much. I think you’re better off waiting in line at Paderia.

2 Likes

I like Aunty mailes, Gardena bowl, and big island eats.

For poke I love jus poke.

I’ve never had a malasada at sidecar but hot butter and salt is hands down the best donut I’ve ever had.

1 Like

The 110 pch night time market is growing by leaps and bounds each week. Saw 5 or 6 new vendors today

Stopped in to try this cemita and it was super good. Freshly fried milanesa that was tender and well seasoned on the inside, with chipotle, quesillo, avocado, and papalo. The cemita roll has grilled mayo on it which was a nice touch. Haven’t had a cemita in a minute but this is a really well done version. I’m definitely gonna go back and get another one.

7 Likes

Have never ben to Aunties Cafe, but Gardena is a ways out for us for breakfast!

1 Like

Sidecar - finally made it here. They had the huckleberry cake donuts freshly made. It’s a bit sweet for me but damn, it’s good. I’ve never had a hot cake donut, but this was so damn good. I inhaled the entire donut and was ready to eat the chocolate one I bought for my kids, but held back. I dream about that texture…

Sweet Rice - haven’t seen this place mentioned much, but it’s become a staple in our household. Thai style soup noodles + congee + rice soup. Everything we’ve had is delicious. I’m partial to the Khao Soi. My wife gets the pin noodles, which is a very light, clear broth with fish balls. And their sister restaurant next door has grilled thai meats and stir fried noodles. I usually get the pork loin and it is a very hefty portion of tender, smoky meat + sticky rice + papaya salad for $16.

3 Likes