Sqirl - Los Angeles

It’s not what, it’s who… And the answer: A combination of CiaoBob and punk rock.
Bob_Mould

7 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA!
He’s the BEST Mould ever!

1 Like

That photo is on static.richardeaglespoon.com in the folder completegarbage. That’s a screen capture called alsomoldbucket.jpg. That tells you nothing about when the photo was taken. The timestamp at the top doesn’t mean that it was taken on that date, could be an old photo with a date of when it was copied to that phone. Could easily be spoofed, though if that were the case, you’d expect it to be more recent.

Also in that folder is moldbucket.jpg, which is just the photo. There’s no date or other metadata in the file, so no way to know when it was taken other than sometime before its first publication this week. The lack of metadata suggests that it’s not the original photo but rather cut from a screenshot or something like that.

Richard Eaglespoon is a pseudonym of Joe Rosenthal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCyruxSDcYb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Onda out : /

I scrapped real hard, under the guidance of Google-fu, before I got to the edible part. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Fruit forward? :heavy_check_mark: No pectin added? :heavy_check_mark: Little sugar added? :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

Apparently John Birdsall wrote something about moldy strawberries for the Nov. 2015 Lucky Peach, Saint John of the Slime: Saving souls and strawberries in a remote California monastery.

Today is the anniversary of you joining FTC. Woohoo.

3 Likes

I have no idea why you are the Sqirl mold apologist, but here is the article which really has nothing to do with moldy strawberries

Birdsall said it did in an Instagram post.

I think people are exaggerating Koslow’s sins, piling on, and in some cases flat-out lying. That’s not apologizing for what she actually did. Even what she’s admitted to is pretty bad. But fuck Twitter and Instagram anyway.

1 Like

Of course they are this is food media, but plenty of people have wanted to take her down for some time and are using the current environment to their advantage. That said I don’t care either way, I’ve always been a fan of Ria’s cooking and never cared much for the jams or Koslow’s story but I am interested to see if people will easily forgive her and how this affects her business as a LA institution.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Too Long, Didn’t Listen / TL;DL:

• In regards to Koslow not crediting chefs for their creation of recipes, Ria Barbosa gave examples of Michael Mina and Daniel Boulud restaurants where even though any recipes created at those places technically still go under the respective restaurants chef owners, the ECs or CDCs that actually run the restaurant are prominently credited when restaurants are promoted especially when recipes are advertised.
  • Adding to that, those chef owners would typically have creation boundaries and visions for the ECs or CDCs to work with. In Sqirl’s case, however, there was none and her and Mat Wilson were given complete free reign while Koslow mostly focused on jam and pastries. Barbosa also implied that Koslow took all the credit publicly and didn’t give her or Wilson any “shout outs” or acknowledgement. Lastly, Barbosa said that she addressed this issue with Koslow no less than 6 times but Koslow would respond with things like “It’s for the restaurant. It’s for all of us.”
  • Barbosa saw moldy jam only once while she was working there and it was a just a tiny speck.
  • Staff wanted to start a Go Fund Me page during COVID for relief since they were out of jobs but Koslow says okay but wouldn’t/didn’t wanna attach the restaurant’s name to the page.
11 Likes

Michael Mina and Daniel Boulud have multiple restaurants. It’s in their interest to promote the profiles of their top employees to help expand their empires.

If Koslow wanted to follow their path, it was foolish of her not to do the same.

Or you can say that she was savvy having established herself to be a well known “chef” with multiple James Beard Best Chef nominations.

1 Like

She’s as much of a chef as Alice Waters. She started a unique restaurant that reflects her taste and style. How many of their customers noticed a difference when there was a chef change?

1 Like

I did

6 Likes

The daily lunch specials took a noticeable dive when Ramos left. Less ambitious, too many fancy sandwiches or random grain bowl put an egg on it.

4 Likes

In that case, she’s not as good a restauranteur as Alice Waters.

1 Like

Alice Waters had a distinct vision and philosophy in her cooking where as Koslow doesnt as alleged by Ria Barbosa. Ria in particular brought up how chefs like Michael Mina and Daniel Boulud have these visions for their chefs to work under where as Sqirl’s savory vision and specials were large crafted by her and Mat Wilson.

4 Likes

The pork paillard and house made Parisian style ham from high quality pork made during Ria’s and Matt’s time was definitely not Koslow’s vision.

3 Likes