Stinking Rose: A Pictoral Essay

… whereas the “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” film is just plain awesome.

1 Like

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (and Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters) are too self conscious. Everything is with a wink to the audience. “HAH! Women in big silly dresses but underneath they’re all corsets and swords!”

It’s rather like (again, desperately trying to bring this around to food) the state fair food that goes into “what’s the stupidest thing we can deep fry?” or the ridiculous ‘bloody mary with half a cafeteria as garnish’" or it’s a hamburger with donuts as buns and the patty is coated in deep fried chicken and served with a coffee smoothie made by brewing with mountain dew and red bull.

And none of them are as good, or even as clever as the first guy who tried to deep fry a mars bar.

It’s all about sincerity, really. If you can fake that, you’re golden.

2 Likes

what a tease

5 Likes

“No, no, they are pigs brains, ypu have nothing to fear. You see, if they never consume human brains, they will never fully transform into zombies.”

(Bringing it back to food.)

Sounds more like “Upstream Color.”

Has anyone been to both . Which one do you think is better. The original in sf or the one in LA.

omg—after reading your comment, I just had a flashback about the original stinking rose in SF. I remember during a business trip to SF in the 80s getting lots of recommendations for us to check out the SR (evidently that was the hot tip for out of owners at the time). We walked by, decided it was not worth it and ended up at Brandy Ho’s. Much better decision.

1 Like

Thought it was a tourist trap. With a gimmick.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of Brandy Ho’s as a tourist place.

much less so than the stinking rose…especially in the 80s

I tried the original once shortly after it opened. That was more than enough, especially since I was a big fan of the previous tenant, Cafe Americain, and the tenant of part of the space before that, Little Joe’s.

We moved away in '92 and I remain surprised that it’s still there.

The Brandy Ho’s in SF Chinatown?

The last time I was there was about '86 when I was finishing law school. Took a casual date and the food was good. But I saw the biggest rat I’ve seen running atone of the foil-covered tubes under the ceiling – luckily her back was to it!