Supermarket finds

I’ve been able to find Carbone pasta sauces at my local Sprouts for $5.99 a jar instead of the $9.99 MSRP.

Also found RAO’s sauce at Target for $5.99.

2 Likes

I’ve found that Rao’s packages their sauces in a few different size jars, so price is relative. My local supermarket sometimes has more than one.

Last month Aldi had a special buy for Raos sauce for something silly, like $3. I rarely buy jarred pasta sauce, but decided what the heck. It was better than I remember. But my favorite remains Mezzetta. You can get it at Amazon Fresh.

2 Likes

These are OK for frozen and $6.79 / 6 x 4 oz. Needed to be baked more like ten minutes and then split and toasted. Best before May 2023! I’ll buy these again. Probably cryovac so they keep fresher.

1 Like

gravenstein

This stuff is delicious, way more going on than the usual one-dimensional applesauce. A lot of markets have house-brand versions in same-looking 24-ounce jars, I suspect they’re all from the same source.

These tomatoes are great for December. They are not as good as farmers market cherry or grape tomatoes in the summer but right now as good as I’ve had from a supermarket. $4.99 at Whole Foods. Good marketing.

3 Likes

2023 Lists
In - Butterscotch
Out - Asians
Laughed when I walked into Bristol Farms and saw this display.

6 Likes

Wait, what?

3 Likes

wait, they’re not called Asian pears or Korean pears anymore? lol

5 Likes

Branding.

4 Likes

I expect them to taste like butterscotch and not be butterscotch in color if someone has decided to rebrand.

4 Likes

If anybody needs loose bincho by the lb they have a lot at Hannum Market in Diamond Bar. Is this how bincho is normally sold?

1 Like

No, not at all. That’s not Japanese binchotan but Japanese style (cheese food?) btw but it is a good price

2 Likes

It says Japanese style charcoal.

It’s probably the Chinese or Vietnamese type binchotan charcoal. It’s not bad but not as good as the real Japanese binchotan. Some of these other binchotan products tend to pop while being used. Japanese style is like saying Chanel style purse

3 Likes

that’s sumi charcoal, and yeah, usually they’re in a 5lb bag or come in ~20-30lb case. buying them loose is useful if you have a small grill and want to pick out sizes that’ll fit better inside vs. large chonkers.

1 Like

Spotted at Whole Foods. Anybody try?

2 Likes

It’s pretty good!
I think I like it more than Rao’s.
But it does not remind me of the sauces in Vegas.

2 Likes

Costco sells two packs of raos for 10.99 they are the large jars

1 Like