Sushi Zo or Q?

My husband is taking me out for a birthday sushi fest and we’re trying to decide between Q and Zo (downtown location). What would the chow hounders recommend?

In the past, we’ve been to N/naka, Shunji, Sasabune etc. We love all sushi both the traditional pure fish stuff and crazy modern rolls.

Probably Zo, good fish, warm rice. Just not a fan of the technically imperfect/misshapen rice.

Q is interesting but too many detractors on this board. Personally I’ve enjoyed it.

Zo is probably the ‘safe’ choice between the two.

Hi @Lily_Kosner,

Glad you’ve tried n/naka and Shunji.

I would say neither Q nor Zo. Not a fan of either. But to save money probably avoid Q. We were charged $250 per person for lackluster sushi. My friend just went 2 months ago and she was charged $230 and she also felt like it was not very interesting, and not worth it.

Either way, Happy Birthday! :slight_smile:

Just came back from lunch at Q Sushi. Walked in for a 12pm reservation and the restaurant was completely empty. My client and I were seated at the bar, were greeted by both the head chef and his non Japanese sous chef. What happened after that really surprised me and left a terrible taste in my mouth. The head chef went back to the kitchen never to be seen again and our entire meal was served by the sous chef. Now it’s one thing if the restaurant was packed and the head itame can’t serve all his counter customers, that’s completely understandable. But when we’re literally the only two customers in the restaurants paying $100pp for lunch, I was really put off and offended.

In terms of the food, had some really good pieces and a few not so great pieces. The cured wild salmon was really fishy and bad. Tasted almost like a bad lox.

I will not be going back.

2 Likes

Whoa. That sucks. Maybe Naruke-san wasn’t feeling well?

no he came back out as we were paying when more customers walked in. It looked like he was going to serve them.

@tailbacku

Ouch sounds like downhill alert. During my first visit when they opened, preparation was relegated to sous (Japanese) while Narauke monitored from behind. I was annoyed, fortunately sushi was good.

I’d be very upset if I had your experience today. Such a shame…

Glad you found my link over at chowhound to come here, welcome to ftc.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Are they worth the extra expense or should I just go to my local Sasabune that I love?

If you like traditional Edomae Sushi, you can’t beat mori.

Don’t know as much as many of the mavens here but I’d say that if you like traditional and non-traditional both, Kiriko might be the best call.

Same thing happened to us and my other friend who just went: Head chef sat there and let his non-Japanese sous chef serve us.

The sous chef already had 3 guests he was serving while the head chef had no one.

Later on, a Japanese couple arrived (about 45 min later), and he greeted them, smiled and served them only.

He never once said a word or greeted us (nor the 3 other guests) the entire time.

so disappointing and off putting. They won’t be getting my business in the future.

1 Like

I’ve been to Q on three occasions and never once served by the head chef. On two of those occasions the head chef stood by serving no one as the restaurant was empty except for myself. And he wasn’t watching / training my itamae, which would have been understandable.

I think you will be very happy with Zo.

You have to be a Quinn Emanuel lawyer (and/or client) to get proper due and respect at Q from Naruke. Otherwise, he just doesn’t have time for you.

To be fair, the Peruvian guy makes good sushi. The first reason this restaurant isn’t popular is because few Americans have a palate for real sushi. The second reason this restaurant isn’t popular is because it is cold, awkward, and stupidly formal. But if we are just talking abou