Taco Maria - Luxe Mexican

Not cheap but not outrageous either I guess. I think we would all have a easier time paying that if this wasn’t “mexican” food.

Wrong thread (I think you wanted the other thread about high prices for upscale FM ingredient driven Asian cuisine) but I think you are 100% right.

1 Like

Recent visits to TM successful?

I’m going Friday. Won’t do a photo report but I’ll report back.

They were as solid as ever last time I was there (6 months?), but their menu hasn’t changed much at all in quite some time. I’d recommend it if you haven’t been there before. My wife and I always order one of each off the tasting menu and share.

Please, would be big help

This is overdue, but if you haven’t been to Taco Maria, I would recommend that you go, if only to see what Carlos Salgado does with masa. The menu at the moment (and for the last year or so) is a testament to corn and the possible transcendence it can bring. I think the common “trick” at Taco Maria is to come with a partner, so you can order one of each of the 8 dishes on the tasting menu. That’s all well and good, but while you can maybe find something approximating their striped bass or even campechana (though with abalone and octopus and the purest “juice” ever, you’d have to be working hard,) I don’t know of a place in the US serving better masa-based stuff. Thus, I ordered the enfrijolada, then the smoked cod taco, then the wonderful sweet corn tamal, and finally the steak main which comes with tortillas. To finish, you’ll get a wonderful cup of atole that I’m currently trying to figure out how to make at home. My dinner was fantastic, truthfully.

I think Taco Maria is frustrating for repeat visitors. The menu has hardly changed for the last two years. I’m not certain why. At one point, probably around the time Gold ranked TM the second best restaurant in LA, Taco Maria was one of the most dynamic kitchens I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating at. Dishes were rotated nearly constantly. I remember going three times in a month to have three renditions of a Dungeness crab porridge that is certainly one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. Then it was gone, never to be seen again. I think now, my two or three times a year meals are tinted by a question of “what if.” What if Salgado really went for it each night? What if the guy who was a pastry chef at some of the top places in the Bay actually offered dessert?

Of course, who am I to tell a chef that he needs to work harder and spread himself thinner? I know he’s putting in crazy work just to prepare his corn. But he is so immensely talented that if you told me he could make the best food in the state, I’d be inclined to believe you. So to see the menu change once a year is just kinda meh.

Anyways, go once and I think you’ll be really impressed.

13 Likes

If I have to choose between Brunch or Dinner next weekend for the end of this decade, which should I go for?

Dinner. Clown question. :grinning:

2 Likes

I haven’t heard great things about brunch. I still need to get in for lunch.

What’s a good drink for someone who can’t handle much alcohol?

I’m leaning towards dinner next weekend. It’ll be my last great meal of this decade.

Their wine parings with the prix fixe dinner menu are really good and reasonably sized.

If you can’t handle much alcohol, I would stay away from it when enjoying fine dining. If you want to see if you can enjoy pairing alcohol with food, try it at home first. Try a low abv wine. Get a suggestion at a place like Domaine LA, Psychic Wines, Stanley’s, something like that.

turnt + taco maria <<<< water + taco maria
. . . at least for now

2 Likes

enjoy one glass of wine and plenty of water?

2014 Marqués de Murrieta 'Capellanía," Viura, Rioja Reserva, Spain

would be my pick from their sample list. But I like seeing white wine through a meal.

My go to is rum and tonic when I’m looking to have a drink or two but not really drink.

In that vein, maybe tequila, vermouth and tonic/soda. something simple and fun.

Totally second this.

3 Likes

Any non alcoholic recommendations? I’ve tried Topo Chico mineral water and I’m looking into their Agua Fresca.

Or is alcoholic the preferable choice.

I’ll be going with a plus one.

Do you really need people to hold your hand to this extent?
Just do what you think looks good in the moment. Do you really want others to curate your entire experience?

4 Likes

I could really use help on this. I barely drink and I get the asian glow. I don’t think I’d be able to drink their wine pairings.

So far the only alcoholic drinks I’ve liked are n/naka’s citrusy sake and White Claw’s Seltzer drinks.

I can’t taste the good parts of red wine at all.

So don’t have alcohol. It’s not a requirement. Millions of people around the world don’t consume alcohol. It’s not a big deal.

10 Likes

Went to their A La Carte Lunch with a plus one. Shared Calabazas con Sikil Pak, Quesadilla de Champinones, and their Mole de Pollo Taco.

Tried their Aqua Fresca, pomegranate flavor. It’s my new default drink. It’s so refreshing and delightful. I would get this just for refreshments.

How do they make those?

Can’t wait for Dinner next weekend.

I might plan for Brunch the weekend after.

2 Likes

Call and ask. You’d be surprised what servers/bartenders/chefs are willing to tell you if you show genuine interest and curiosity.

Even if they only give you a basic rundown of ingredients, compare that with recipes you find online.