Taco Maria - Luxe Mexican

I finally made it to Taco Maria for dinner for the first time, having gone before for the ALC tacos at lunch. I really enjoy “fine dining Mexican” (and non fine dining Mexican!) cuisine, even though I don’t have a ton of experience with it, because I love the depth and flavors that can be coaxed with all the myriad spices and other ingredients in Mexican food, and it can be even more spectacular when chefs do it in the context of a tasting menu. So I approached the meal with a lot of anticipation.

We were able to order OOE @PorkyBelly style, since we were a group of four. The menu is below:

Also got one wine pairing, and ended up going with the bottom selection on all of them. I thought the wine pairing was reasonably priced and in general paired well with the food, though the white rioja was overwhelmed by the dishes in the second course.

In all, I thought there were several wow moments in this meal, and as a whole, Taco Maria deserves all the plaudits it has received. Also, I’m not trying to claim that $84 is a cheap meal (it’s not), but I’m personally confused by claims this is too expensive for the quality you get. I personally think the QPR here was ridiculously great, as I think you usually are paying 3 digits for a meal of this quality (Californios is almost 3x the cost, though of course you also get almost 3x the quantity, and I do think the execution is more consistent across dishes). If anything, I wish they would offer a more extended tasting as an option, where you could sample more of the chef’s outstanding concoctions.

We ended up sitting in the patio, so the light was pretty challenging. But without further ado, onto the meal!

Cheetos and Ranch nice kick from the spices but otherwise forgettable and a way to pass the time as mentioned previously

Enfrijolada
This was a bit one-note in that it had a light bean filling but really no other flavors of note. I had wanted the crab tostada but agreed with wife to order the top dishes while she would get the bottom ones

Tostada de Cangrejo
Took a bite, and whoa! Sweet and briny crab mixed with slightly tart and sweet citrus - what an amazing bite. It was so good we asked for another plate of it (since I had “sacrificed” by ordering the other dish :smile:)

Callo Gratinado
Sweet scallop contrasted with crispy and earthy squid ink crumbs and a bit of kick from the Chile - another highlight dish

Taco de Bacalao
The cod in the taco was creamy and almost sweet, and the combination the Chile and peanut morita (best description is like eating fresh made Lao Gan Ma sauce, and that’s a compliment!), finished with surprisingly delicious sweet pickles - another highlight

Pescado Zarandeado
Tasty grilled fish with an umami-filled sauce

Tamal de Elote
This tasted like a corn bread muffin - i didn’t really get the funkiness of the huitlacoche

The last two course were accompanied by blue corn tortillas and spicy salsa
Pichon con Patacas
Perfectly cooked squab - crispy and decadently oily skin with smoky meat with just a touch of gaminess - the sauce was a bit sweeter to complement the meat

Birria de Cordero
Melt in your mouth stewed lamb and turnip with sauce made out of crack…erm… coffee with star anise; I was full at this point yet still downed way too many tortillas since I needed vessels to lap up all the mole (?) sauce. It was slightly earthy, a tad sweet, and herbal.

Dessert
Pistachio marzipan truffles - delicious

If you didn’t have an opportunity to get OOE,
My favorites for each course were:
1st course - crab tostada!!
2nd course - flip a coin - both were highlights
3rd course - pescado zarandeando
4th course - tough one but I think the lamb wins out because of the sauce

14 Likes

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Woah, this looks like one of their better menus in some time. I’m gonna have to check it out before the crab is out of season. Thanks for the detailed report!

1 Like

They are back with a take out Mexicatessan operation. Only protein on the menu today is tinga de pollo. They have beans, rice, salsa, pickles and salads as well but no home made tortillas or aguachile. I could see the aguachile working if they packed it separately or if you are the aguachile in your car.

https://tacomaria.revelup.com/weborder/?establishment=1#products/74

3 Likes

Simple Preview

7th Anniversary Menu (4-5 people $98)

BIRRIA de CORDERO

braised lamb, chile mulato, star anise, coffee

FRIJOLES de la OLLA

fresh cranberry shelling beans, avocado, avocado leaf oil

ARROZ

jasmine rice scented with Mexican oregano

TORTILLAS

heirloom corn tortillas made by hand

CONDIMENTOS

easter egg radishes, pickled and raw onions, cilantro, lime, salsa negra

This is definitely enough for a group of 5. Double what you see on the pictures, besides the dutch oven with Birria de Cordero and the red salsa, and that’s what you get! It comes with 10 tortillas.

WARNING! Be careful of carrying the bag of bricks. Mine ripped apart from the bottom as I was holding it! Thankfully all of the containers are tightly sealed, so nothing spilled out. Hold the bottom or get it double bagged.

I’m gonna enjoy this in an hour. :slight_smile:

Edit: We still have leftovers. This can feed up to 10 people.

Edit 2: Got plenty of Salsa Negra left over. It’s giving my plain rice a lot of kick and flavor. This will last me until next Spring.

10 Likes

The pozole hits different. Any it’s fun because it’s a legit meaty, pork heavy beast with the best hominy you’ll ever have, and a splendid grilled cabbage. Definitely more indulgent than what you’d ever have from the tasting menu.

Gosh, the family meals are so damn good. If you see something that appeals to you, snag it.

3 Likes

salsas at nowserving
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL2JvLzh6gK/

5 Likes

Salsa Negra is so good. So much more flavorful and complex than the popular Salsa Roja.

I still think about the ceviche tostada at Mariscos Tocho with the salsa negra

1 Like

You know when people say things are spicy but they really aren’t spicy? This is not one of those times. Delicious. Mexican chili crisp.

$20 at Alta Baja Market

8 Likes

Hell yeah. Looks like it’s part of a series. Goofy though auspicious URL on this one.

https://nowservingla.com/products/copy-of-umamei-xo-sauce

https://nowservingla.com/products/copy-of-taco-maria-reserva-salsa-negra-chile-ancho-mild

1 Like

Yes they had the negra chile morita on sale too. All of the sauces at Taco Maria have been excellent.

3 Likes

Very nice chile oil but I’m not crazy about the peanuts, they lose some of their crunch. I’d rather add my own.

Taco Maria A La Carte dinner is available now on Resy. All seatings are currently on their outdoor patio for now.

Book Your Taco María Reservation on Resy

Edit: There are multiple seats for 3-4 people tonight starting at 6 PM. These seats are appearing in the last minute. Sometimes they all disappeared. Is this a glitch with Resy? (7/10 Sat)

1 Like

Anybody been to a la carte yet?

If you’re looking for entrée recommendations, I loved their Chuleta de Puerco and Arrachera.

If you’re getting Chuleta de Puerco, eat the meaty part on the bone first while it’s warm!

2 Likes

You mean piping hot

4 Likes

Quick word of warning: Taco Maria’s website suggests that walking in is possible, though unlikely.

But they aren’t taking walk ins in general. Don’t waste your time and try popping in without a reservation.

1 Like

Peony: Interesting place. Definitely has its own character. Some of the dishes were really excellent, However, the dishes were not consistent. We had a couple of dishes that weren’t so interesting or well-executed. I see potential in the chef and hope they can create more dishes like the guinea hen.

Warrior: 6.5 Warrior Points. The guinea hen was the best fowl I recall eating this year.

1 Like

Better than Damian?
What is the wine situation - how is the wine list?

We both like it much more than Damian, but we’re lukewarm on Damian. I would say the last three courses (smoked albacore taco, guinea hen, arroz con leche) were better than anything I’ve eaten at any Mexican restaurant in the LA area, and the guinea hen would be a highlight on Manzke’s tasting menu. Peony didn’t like the taco because she found the roasted tortilla too hard, but I found it exquisite – the best taco I’ve ever had, easily.

The wine list was good – maybe about 15 whites and 15 reds. The pictured Barbaresco was their third most expensive red. (They also had a grand cru Burgundy and a Vega Sicilia Unico.) Good variety in terms of body and acidity. Their wine pairings look good as well – several wines I’ve tried and like.

1 Like