Taco Shop Love

Where to find potato rolled tacos?

Hard to find but sublime with lots of guac /sour/cheese and some kick ass hot as f*#k salsa…

IPSE, I know this is a side discussion not about food, so everyone who is not an F1 fan should skip this boring post .

I have a huge issue with the lack of testing and development currently allocated by F1 (ostensibly because they want to save the teams money). Seriously, what other professional sport in the world really doesn’t allow their athletes to practice? It’s ridiculous. F1 has always been about pushing the limits with unlimited technical development by the team and drivers. Such as is the state of F1 today, its nearly impossible for teams to make up much ground on the competition let alone surpass their competitors. The way things look to be currently headed, F1 will have premier teams and 2nd class teams with the engine manufacturing teams able to have better engines than what they supply to every other team.

Under this model Haas really has no chance, nor does any other team that has to purchase their engines from someone else. Even though Haas will have a Ferrari engine it won’t be as high performance as what Ferrari run. So what that they get a discounted price. If they get discounted performance, then they will only be battling with the second tier of F1 teams and it would take a tremendous drive and a tremendous stroke of luck to get on the podium. Never say never, and rain tends to be the great equalizer, so I suppose it’s possible, but I still probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

And while it’s great to have an American Team in F1, what we really need is an American driver. Not just that, but an American driver that has a chance at doing well. Hope Rossi gets a ride again this year and can find a more competitive drive in the future. We haven’t had an American driver on an F1 podium since Michael Andretti 1993, and he didn’t even finish the season being replaced with 3 races remaining. No American driver has one an F1 race in nearly 38 years since Mario Andretti in 1978. That really is what needs to change before the sport takes off here again.

1 Like

According to my Vegetarian Daughter, Lucha Libre makes some pretty damn good potato and soyrizo rolled tacos.

1 Like

RD, I agree about the salsa bar. It’s one of the best around. I’m not so big on the catfish tacos though. I think they are just okay. The Guisados are probably the best, although the last time there i ordered the buey menso and it was just okay.Still waiting for something there to really trip my trigger.

Yessenias in Carmel Mountain is still my go to take out place. We do love their chiliquiles. That said, I am always on the look out for better Mex in my area.

1 Like

Mama Testa has been wildly inconsistent for years, this is nothing new.

The hard shell mashed potato tacos are the bomb. Also surprisingly good are the Asi Yasado, grilled chicken tacos. The conchinta pibil (Yucatecos) used to be very good but I haven’t tried it at the new place yet. His chorizo tacos (Atasco?) were also pretty good since he was making the chorizo in house. The bistec and al pastor were never a strength.

The Mojadas de Carne also used to be pretty spectacular but it is also untried so far. This is actually more of a soup than a straight up taco, and the beef is heads and shoulders better than the chicken. 4 rolled tacos, quartered floating in a bowl of spicy beef broth. Comes with a plate of chopped white onion, cilantro and lime wedges. This is really a good cold weather dish.

On the bright side, at least there’s plenty of parking now

1 Like

The deep-fried avocado tacos are very gnarly. In a gnarly good way.

1 Like

I didn’t see those on the menu

I guess it’s time to make a Mama Testa’s run.

Easy peasy…it’s literally 3 blocks from my office. I could walk over there.

I wish they didn’t close down the Hillcrest location.

I’m in that area all the time with TJ’s/Home Depot/Costco/Saks/Nordy’s…
Looks great!

I love watching and talking about cars…fast cars!
F1 might have to be on the October 30th list…
Remember when Del Mar had something like this…Grand Prix?
I would go all the time and get the VIP, so I could get super close to hear the engines purr…:cat:

Yes, the Del Mar Grand Prix! Went every year. My wife used to do their advertising so we always got the complimentary VIP as well. Did you ever see the famous F1 driver, Hans Stuck, win in Porsche Cup there and then do his famous yodel on the podium? Priceless!

One of my good friends that I grew up with, Buddy Lazier, used to race Indy/CART (He won the championship as well as the Indy 500!), and I would go to many of the races and hang with his pit crew. Even back in the late 80s and 90s, the technology was amazing. Unbelievably, he’s still trying to race today at his elderly age and due to mechanical problems barely missed qualifying for Indy 500 last year. Saw him a few months ago and he swears that he will qualify (with a better car) this year. His son Flinn looks to be an up and coming racing talent as well, winning many ski, dirt bike, and go cart races.

1 Like

We would hang with Willy T. Ribbs and his crew at Del Mar…
I would walk over the bridge and hang while the race cars would zoom by, since I could get so close to that sound…:heart_eyes:

Speaking of Porsche…best deal on used Cayenne S 2008 you can pick up for less than $15k…best bang 4 the buck!

Hit up the Solana Beach Roberto’s Taco Shop and they have the best crunchy tacos…
Gotta check out Tony’s and tho’ Fidel’s is average but I only get the chile relleno that I love and the chicken all white burrito with a cold Modelo!

Didn’t Willie win there one year in the late 80s?

Fidels, ughh . . . They make better salsa in New York City! And their chips suck too.

Anybody Like JVs Taco Shop? I love their red chile chicken burrito.

Crispy chicken tacos from Rodrigo’s are awful hard to beat, but they have the worst chips ever.

Had to retire my old Audi S4 last year. I want a cayman s but may get a quatro TT.

I love JV’s Taco shop!

I know that Fidel’s isn’t to everyone’s liking but been going there for 30+ years and I just love their puffy chile relleno and they have an all white chicken burrito with lots of melted cheese!
Yeah, the chips suck…the salsa is like Rubio’s.

DH asked what I want for :cupid: and I told him a new Targa…a girl can dream but he bought me a RR instead.
:sob:

Have yet to make it to Galaxy Taco in La Jolla, but am going tonight for Taco Tuesday Takeover with Chef Nat Appleman. In addition to the “Set” menu, the full menu is also available. Any standouts that we must try? I’m thinking that the Pulpo Tostada and Birria clams might be must haves.

I think you’ll like it. The carrot margarita is wonderful.

Those two menu items certainly sound good. If you do end up ordering one or both of them, your impressions will be of interest. I’ve not yet been to Galaxy for dinner.

Oh la la…a carrot Margie, sounds weirdly delicious.
:rabbit: