Taco Shop Love

For a quick fix, Rubio’s on Tuesday after 2:30 has $1.50 fish tacos…flour or corn…
For $2.00 you can get the Especial with guac…
It’s always packed from 2:30 on.
Their fish tacos are pretty decent.

Countdown to Herr Honk for the put down to my post in 3.2.1…
:japanese_goblin:

Well we just did some small shared appetizers and then the taco take-over menu. The totopos and the queso fundido with chorizo were both muy requisimo! Pitcher of house marges was surprisingly good, with none of that corn syrup sweet and sour shit that ruins most Margaritas. Just tons of fresh squeezed limes and liquor on the rocks, the way it should be. The guac was just ok. Definitely fresh, but just not creamy. Must have been a harder avocado. Also I just don’t understand why with such great blue corn tortilla chips they bring those comparatively crappy store bought chips with the guac. It did however highlight how great their house-made blue corn chips really are!

The takeover menu was three tacos and a Modelo for $20. Quite reasonable and super delicioso. First taco was a grilled avaocado and crab, second was a Mary’s chicken abondigas with pickled onions in a spicy green crema sauce, last was a charred leak and brocolli with a pepita creme vinegarette, but it also had a hidden surprise. A dried crunchy beef dust on the bottom gave it some flavor pop and texture. It was easily my favorite thing of the evening, even though the table’s consensus leaned toward the abondigas.

Trey was there as well and I spoke with him about how they achieved that beef crunchy crumble. The process sounded like a whole lot of work with lots of texturing and drying (dehydration) steps. We also discussed the blue corn masa preparation which seems like a lot of time and effort for corn tortillas. They are definitely worth it IMO and held up to even the moistest tacos despite my initial skepticism. The masa and tortillas are basically a 24/7 preparation with lots of work to do at the end of each evening continuing through to the next day. He is now supplying these to a few places including Bracero. Trey seemed very tired. I’m sure Tuesday Takeover is a different stress trying to make sure your kitchen is prepared for a new chef with all new ingredients. And trying to run one successful restaurant kitchen let alone two or more would reduce most people to a burned out quivering shell of a human being.

Saw Nate Appleman there as well. At first I mistook him for Chad White. He’d let his hair and beard grow out and looked almost like a mini version of Chad with the bushy neck beard and tatted up arms. Our consensus was that his cooking was creative and tasty. I really hope he opens a place of his own! I can’t imagine that Chipotle gig lasting too much longer.

Bottom line is that we really enjoyed our dinning experience and will go back again. My friend that we dined with is a good friend of Trey’s and has eaten there regularly since the opening. He says that the food initially was not very good, but that it has improved immensely and Trey has done well to drop the weaker items and focus on improving the hits. Need to get back there for those birria clams!

2 Likes

So they have sh!tty chips?
That’s weird…
I’m gonna have to get over the dark blue tortilla thing…it’s kind of like swimming in a black bottom pool or snorkeling in a black sand beach…don’t like it but once in, it’s ok but still want the white sand or regular tortilla…

Thanks for the Galaxy report!

No their blue corn chips are the bomb! But for some reason they served the guac with traditional corn chips, that were actually fine, but seemed boring and pedestrian when compared to those spectacular blue corn chips. The blue chips in the totopos were F’ing amazing as was the sauce. One of the best and most unique Mexican appetizers in San Diego IMO.

1 Like

The Churro with home made vanilla icecream and chocolate dipping sauce was possibly the best I have had, but I don’t usually indulge in churros, so have little point of reference.

1 Like

Great report, thanks. Have to get up there for dinner sometime.

Crunchy beef dust? Yes, please.

They are…go try one :slight_smile:

I usually only do churros in Mexico…not because I’m a purist or churro-snob…but because they’re simply better in Mexico. Must be the old oil :wink: . But I have to agree with RISD, the churros with vanilla ice cream and chocolate dipping sauce at Galaxy Tacos is outstanding, probably about the best rendition I’ve had NOB

1 Like

Crunchy veggie/fruit dust…yes, please!
:tomato::eggplant::corn::grapes::pineapple:

1 Like

Craving churros stat!

I know where I’m headed soon.

1 Like

Let’s talk about breakfast tacos. . .soy chorizo, scrambled eggs, avo, cheese, burning hot sauce…
Donde?

A donde su trip report en Espana, weda?
:airplane:

Soyrizo rolled tacos with an egg on top at Lucha libre

1 Like

I have tasted once a soy chorizo (TJ ?) - awful, why are vegetarians trying to mimick meat flavors (and textures) ? There is enough great produce to use its own flavors

I love soy chorizo…so, get over it!
:yum:

Between Barrett-Jackson and Torrey, it was a perfect week…did you see that 918 hybrid that went for over $1.6m?
Solid…

Yeah that’s pretty cool. Did you know that the very first car Porsche ever built was a diesel electric hybrid. Here’s a couple pictures I took of the fully restored vehicle at the Frankfurt auto show in 2011. Those hubs on the front wheels are the electric motors.

1 Like

Not exactly a taco shop, but a small Mexican joint called Cantina Mayahuel in University heights makes the best Moles I have found in SD (Thanks Dining Diva and Dr Chow for turning me on to this place) and I am mole obsessed. They only have Moles on Tuesday and Friday nights, so plan accordingly. They make their Moles from scratch, which as you are aware is no small endeavor. In fact they make three different versions (Mole Rojo, Mole Negra, and my personal favorite, Mole Pipian)! Chef Larry doesn’t follow a hard and fast recipe. He creates them from memory, so they differ a bit from visit to visit (heat level etc), but they are always exceptional!

Dinner for two = 2 Mole + Rice+ Beans+ tortillas $14/ea, House Marg $5, Modelo Especial $2.50, Chips+tropical salsa+diced serranos $3 = Total = $38.50. Helluva delicious deal!

Nice Valentine Mole Heart!

2 Likes