Tacos 1986 - New Tijuana-style stand w/ trompo in Hollywood

There’s a new Tijuana-style taco stand called Tacos 1986 on Highland/Lexington, in the parking lot of the bakery Confectionary Co-op, kitty-corner to Salt’s Cure. Looked super promising, so I decided to try them - a trompo with a great mound of adobada, asada on the smokey grill, and tortillas freshly made.

They have a pretty big team (I counted 8?), all super friendly, and their menu is streamlined, so they pump out orders quickly. Options - tacos $3, quesadillas (w/ corn tortillas) $4, mulitas $4.75, and vampiros $5. Meats - carne asada, adobada, chicken, and mushrooms.

The adobada was my favorite thing there, and they throw in crispy, charred pieces in every taco to balance the texture with the mostly tender, juicy meat. The carne asada was really good too, juicy, smokey, and beefy, but it was a bit salty. (I’m sensitive to salt, so that may not be an issue for some folks.) The chicken was not as flavorful as the asada or adobada, but it was juicy and had some smokiness, so at least it’s not the dry afterthought that it is at a lot of trucks/stands. Didn’t try the mushroom.

Adobada quesadilla:

Adobada taco:

Asada tacos:

I also love that they grill green onions that you can grab on the side! So sweet and tender. Their salsas are nice although none of them is that hot. Most interesting to me was their take on salsa de aceite - I haven’t tried a lot of versions of it, but it seemed quite thick. It was tasty, a strong oomph of soy flavor. Sorry I didn’t get a picture!

It’s such a surprise to have a stand like this in Hollywood, and I’d say it’s on par w/ Tire Shop and the adobada is even on par with the pastor at Tacos Los Poblanos. The asada doesn’t quite hit the heights of Los Poblanos, though - Los Poblanos’ was a little juicier and had more crispy edges to provide that great textural contrast.

1200 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90038

• open Tues-Sun, closed Monday

Just saw that Bill Esparza covered this place on Eater, too. Better pics there.

10 Likes

yesssss I know where I’m going tonight.

Tacos 1986 is located on the corner of Highland and Lexington at 1200 N. Highland Avenue in Hollywood. They’re open 8 p.m. to midnight, Tuesday to Thursday, then until 3 a.m. on weekends. They serve 5 to 10 p.m. on Sunday and are closed on Mondays.

1 Like

I might also go tonight depending on how I feel after first dinner. Place is amazing btw, thanks for adding the Eater link :slight_smile:

btw, the hongos (mushroom) might be the best thing they have there other than the perrón!

3 Likes

Yeah I’m definitely hitting this up!!!

Matt, How about some love for La Unica in Boyle Heights?

Yeah I’m going to have to try the hongos and perron, didn’t even know about the off-menu item until I read the article - good info and context in there. Will be interesting to see how this place expands its seating and/or looks for a new location as they gain a following. Even when I was there last night, a random Tuesday, there were already a dozen people and not really anywhere to sit.

The mushroom did nothing for me. In fact it was too oily and greasy.

But the asada? I ended up eating 3. Spent $20 tacos before I knew it.

Tacos are $3/ea. Decent crowd on Wednesday night after 11 but lots of table space.

2 Likes

Ended up here 3 out of 4 nights. Lots of tacos consumed.

I haven’t been to TST so I can’t compare to that, but the tacos here are better than Mexicali and Tacos el Gordo. Vampiro is much better at Mexicali though.

I think this abodabo/ pastor smashes Leo’s too.

8 Likes

This is what I should have had last night! :heart_eyes:

Whoa, thanks.

On it

That’s awesome! Maybe I saw you - were you there Friday night? I went back for more adobada too, so good. My first time, they didn’t give me any pineapple, but this time I saw them actually carving a whole pineapple, so I made sure to ask. Takes the adobada to a whole other level. Interestingly, they didn’t seem to have pineapple on top of the trompo - rather, they just carved it and griddled it on the same griddle where they finish the adobada, which imparts so much flavor.

Also saw Mayor Villairagosa there! He (and some friends or family) were chatting it up with the owners of the stand, and they were so proud to host him. Really cool to see, Mexican American mayor celebrating this Mexican American success story.

2 Likes

On Friday, was that the family huddled in the corner by the cashier?

If you saw an Asian dude in a NIN jacket pounding tacos that was me.

Also wanted to give a shout out to the guy on Saturday night who dropped 2 tacos on the table - “I ordered too much” - don’t worry bro, they did not go to waste.

6 Likes

Holy crap it’s so good

8 Likes

-“my man”

I saw him with 3 or 4 other guys at this small standing table near the trompo - looked like the table was set up just for them maybe. This was at around 9:30. Don’t think I saw you, though, ah well!

re: “ordered too much” that’s awesome, I would’ve just taken them home!

Forgot to add I tried the asada again, and it improved - more smoke, not as salty, better balance.

“My man” indeed - that guy (one of the owners I think) is just bursting with energy.

We probably just missed each other by minutes, unless you happened to see a loud annoying Mini maneuvering through that tiny parking lot. I left around 920.

My wife also commented that it was kinda salty after a while but it just tasted like glory to me.

So weird that how branded and professional it is actually turned me off a bit. Great food and area for us

They’ve even got a Postmates tablet.

Dang, I must have gone on an off night or too late or something - this was a miss for me.

I rolled up about 11:30, half an hour before closing with plenty of people around, and the adobada had already been hacked off the trompo in chunks and cooked on the flat top so that it was uneven and super unappealing. Asada and tortillas were good but not better than many other places in town. Also, as I think someone mentioned above I found it incredibly salty, like almost painfully so, and I don’t think I’ve ever said that before - I’m not sensitive to salt.

I did think the salsa bar was better than average, particularly that bright green fresh tomatillo one.

Again, maybe I went on an off night, but I’m not inclined to return any time soon.

1 Like