Tail 'O The Pup To Return in 2016

According to LA Magazine (December 2015) our famous and classic hot dog stand Tail 'O The Pup is set to return to somewhere on La Cienega Blvd. in early 2016. The Blake family (former owners) will partner with The Killer Shrimp current owners. A second replica location in Downtown LA in the new Bloc. They promise both old standards and new classics at both locations….let’s hope they learned a lesson from Clifton’s that the food really matters…

4 Likes

Eater sheds a bit more light…

1 Like

This is my old friend Brett who’s done this - and is also responsible for reopening the Hamburger Hamlet in the valley. He’s reviving all of his (and our) favorites from childhood. Now, if only he could get Bob Burns back…

3 Likes

yogachik do you know where the La Cienega location is going to be?

@yogachik, wouldn’t hang on for Bob Burns- but enjoy this sign. Have the 4 large metal gas sconces as well.

4 Likes

There is now an opening date of May 1st 2016 and an address 451 North La Cienega Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90048 two blocks north of their original location!

1 Like

@wienermobile,

I never tried the original. What made it special? Thanks.

It’s part nostalgia…It was one of those places in LA that everyone ate at one time or another. It was used in many films & TV shows.
For boomers it was just across the street from Beverly Park Kiddyland and the Pony Rides.
I ate there all the time in the 80’s. In it’s day it was a very good hot dog. Hope they get it right this time around.

2 Likes

According to LA Curbed, Tail O’ the Pup will reopen on May 1 in the parking lot of boutique clothing shop Opening Ceremony, just two blocks north of it’s original Beverly/La Cienega location.

Excited. Not excited. No, really.

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on here.

The food truck, which will not be shaped like a frankfurter but will bear some retro hues and flavorful fan favorites, will debut outside Opening Ceremony on 451 N. La Cienega Boulevard.

Look for a “modernized take on the 21st century hot dog stand” near the clothing-plus shop. The opening date? Thursday, Sept. 8 (just arrive after 3).

so…not the pup?

This is so disappointing for those of us who grew up in LA…

1 Like

This is my friend’s business - he says this:

We know a few of you had questions about our upcoming opening of the Tail O’ the Pup!

The original stand, first opened in 1946, is currently being refurbished and will debut this winter at the bloc in Downtown LA. Our brick and mortar location will be located on Hope Street between 7th and 8th Street and will feature the original hot dog facade made famous over all these years! The rendering below shows the design of the new space.

On Thursday, September 8th, we look forward to the launch of the Tail O’ the Pup food truck. Located a few blocks from the iconic hot dog stand’s original location on La Cienega Blvd, we’ll be serving original classics as well as brand new hot dogs, burgers and specialty items. Located in the parking lot of Opening Ceremony, this will be a permanent location for our truck which will serve as our kitchen and stand. Outdoor seating and a great location on La Cienega will bring back memories of the original location across from Kiddie Land and the Pony Rides.

We look forward to seeing all of you soon and thank you for all of the support.

3 Likes

today’s news:

Tail O’ the Pup

After losing our original location on La Cienega Blvd and our most recent location on San Vicente Blvd due to development and after an exhausting 10 year search for a new location, we were unable to find a permanent place in Hollywood for the original Tail O’ the Pup, however we wanted to celebrate Tail O’ the Pup with a fully branded food truck serving the best classics right across the street from Norms. The original Tail O’ the Pup will be living at the bloc in Downton Los Angeles while we continue our search for a new permanent location in Hollywood.

1 Like

Okay. Thought I was getting senile. The San Vicente / Beverly Blvd locale is the one I remember.

2 Likes