Thanksgiving Home cookin

Same. Duck and bacon fat and olive oil. It’s not hard I meant it really does take that long

1 Like

Yea broiler worked

Interesting- I’ve also never had trouble browning using Kenji’s alkaline technique. I have noticed I don’t always love the time/temps he uses with roasting (as with his brussels sprouts or cauliflower recipes) so I wonder if my oven is maybe not accurately calibrated in a way that works for me some recipes and not others.

Still cooking lol

2 Likes

I am hugely impressed. May be “easy” but took heaps of planning and skill. Yay you!

P.S. This comes from a gal who, when I’m pooped, doesn’t even hand whip the pumpkin pie filling, I throw it all in the blender and push “on.” I figure - hey there’s no gluten, no flour, it’s basically a custard so… #lazy

2 Likes

What type of pretty pie is this?

1 Like

Slow cookers are way under used as turkey day helps, I think. It’s an extra oven, right when you need one!

2 Likes

I used it for my stuffing this year. Worked great except I missed the crispy edges.

1 Like

The meal is great, but I always love turkey and vegetable soup. Started the stock last night and let it run for about 12 hours before adding the vegetables. So great to have with our leftovers.

3 Likes

I agree. Besides the soup I love turkey sandwiches with mayo, stuffing and cranberry sauce, and the last of the picked carcass meat heated in the last of the gravy served over egg noodles. Every year I vow to make turkey more than once a year. This year I actually did.

2 Likes

Yeah, see, that’s the difference between stuffing and dressing. Being from the South, I know this stuff. And no, it’s dressing with those “crispy edges.”

1 Like

Sweet potato. Armenianized with sugary walnut

2 Likes

Cooking for Friendsgiving now . 3rd dinner party in a row lol

3 Likes

Our baking maven replaces the usual Karo in the pecan pie with Lyle’s Golden Syrup. Winner of various experimental trials over the years including maple and Steen’s. I recommend the plastic bottles, the traditional tins rust if you don’t go through them fast enough.

4 Likes

What’s that for? You just use as an ingredient instead of sugar?

As I said, Lyle’s in place of the usual Karo.

Replaced my ancient spring whisk that rusted out a few years ago just in time to make turkey Tetrazzini.

2 Likes

don’t know that i’ve ever seen one of those before!! looks great for custards

Yeah, anything that has a tendency to stick to the bottom.

(Lyle’s Golden Syrup)
It’s also a great ingredient for these (which also require an additional odd ingredient):

I haven’t tested this particular recipe, but I don’t have my Mom’s recipe on hand, and these look pretty close.

1 Like