Thanksgiving Home cookin

A place to share your home creations :turkey: as suggested by @ebethsdad

The preppin:

The brinin

Bertha risin

Kabocha lamb stuffin

The latticed turkey boob

4 Likes

Two big bunches of broccoli rabe cooked down to this little bit.

sweet potatoes with bacon, onion, anchovies, hot pepper, and apple balsamic

4 Likes

Thanks for doing this. I will post mine when I slow down enough to do it!

1 Like

Bad timing: bird was done an hour before guests are due to arrive with appetizers.

5 Likes

Ingredients for braised lamb shanks. It will tell you all you need to know :slight_smile:
Ingredients

• 6 lamb foreshanks, trimmed
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3⁄4 olive oil
  • 2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
  • 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
  • 5 sprigs thyme
  • 3 anchovy filets
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 4 cups veal or chicken stock

I use Julia Childs’ deconstructed turkey method. First dry brined for several days. Leg thigh is detached and thigh is boned. Its then stuffed and laced up. End of drumstick is chopped off in order to pull out tendons when done.

Made classic sausage sage stuffing with home baked bread and homemade sausage.

Apple pie before…

Apple pie after…

Pumpkin pie made with butternut squash.

Turkey platter; the stuffed thighs are like rouladen. Leg meat extremely tender without tendons. Roasted leg/thighs to 170 and breast to 157. Very moist!

Unfortunately my other pictures didn’t turn out. It was a lovely night!

4 Likes

I’m just bowled over. That was A LOT of work. And looks luscious. Congrats.

Forgot the pic with the jus. Crazy good. Sooooo much better than any turkey I’ve ever had :slight_smile:

1 Like

that was a fun dinner

Simple sautéed crimini with bacon, garlic and bunch of herbs

Some simple green beans with a vinaigrette

Requisite burned carrots

lamb, fruit, nut stuffed squashes 2 ways

Latticed 2 day brined turkey breast came out perfect. Juicy tenderness. Big win

Finally got my Sicilian right. Came out great! Was for the kids but grownups couldn’t stop eating it either

The spread . Kenji’s alki potatos were a big hit too

It’s not thanksgiving until you have turkey chunks swimming in your beautiful Anderson Valley Ant Hill farm Pinot

5 Likes

Six people vs. 21-lb. turkey. We didn’t make that big a dent in the piles. Fine with me, turkey sandwiches with lots of mayo are my favorite Thanksgiving dish anyway.

Inspired by a Cook’s Illustrated article about trying to get Joel Robuchon’s results with less work, I boiled 500g potatoes in 300g milk with a teaspoon of salt, drained them, and mashed them with maybe half of the liquid. Usually I’d make them richer, but I figured the gravy would make up for that. Supposedly cooking in milk makes them reheat better.

4 Likes

How did the potatoes turn out? I love that Joel Robuchon recipe, but it is a lot of work. We had 14 people so I opted for J. Kenji’s fluffy mashed potatoes as the potatoes are more a vehicle for the gravy than the focus.

Beautiful spread! I can see why you wanted to buy pies as that is a huge spread. I spent two and a half days on mine, and I bet yours took longer than that.

1 Like

The mashed potatoes were great, though nothing like the rich, creamy Robuchon stuff. Reheated perfectly.

1 Like

Can this really be right? After boiling the potatoes, roast them at 450° for 50-60 minutes?

1 Like

It is. Really tough to Brown them. I ended up rotating adding oil several times and final 15 minutes was in the broiler

1 Like

Did you do all of that yourself? I’m hoping you had help.

1 Like

The last traditional Thanksgiving dinner we did I ‘mashed’ the potatoes in the FP and reheats in the slow cooker. They were super.

I thought I did something wrong when I made these. The potatoes never browned but good to know it wasn’t just me.

1 Like

I have made this a number of times, both in the current iteration and the original one, and never had trouble with browning. I use russets and either goose fat or duck fat. What are you using? It is a great recipe.

She made the pumpkins. But this wasn’t hard. 2 sautéed things then a bunch of roasted things so, low work load cooking. All done day of, with some prep of course