Thanksgiving lunch or dinner in a restaurant, hav eyou ever done it

I have no dinner plans the next few days …

Happy Thanksgiving @Happybaker

2 Likes

Back from Scarpetta’s Thanksgiving buffet. We had a pleasant experience: service was both friendly and attentive throughout our two-hour meal, and I found just about everything I tasted to be delicious. Fresh crudi were brought out frequently, the roasted meats were all nicely cooked and a new batch of spaghetti and agnolotti was available every ~10 minutes. The only relative letdown were the desserts, mainly because they didn’t have apple or pumpkin pie, which I consider de rigueur for Thanksgiving, nor did they have their delicious gelato on offer. That minor grumble aside, I’d definitely consider returning next year.

Here are some of the photos: Scarpetta, Beverly Hills | Flickr

1 Like

I would never serve you reheated dim sum!

We’ll just have to struggle through har gow, bbq pork bun, chicken bun, sesame balls and lotus leaf chicken and rice all on our own. I think… I THINK we can do it. If we’re strong ; )

They didn’t take the murals out, did they?

Schroeder’s still has the paintings, but they’re kind of out of place in the modernized room.

Did Elite yesterday for Thanksgiving. Completely dead at 5pm, about half full around 630p.

Peking duck was great, albeit a little sloppy in places (fat wasn’t scraped off well), and the buns were borderline terrible. But the actual duck 2 ways was great, better than what I remember from Duck House and way better than Sam Woo Irvine (although Sam Woo Irvine had better buns…)

Macau roast pork was also fantastic.

Walked out of there for $80/3 people before tax/tip and felt glorious. On the way back home, drove by Marie Calendar’s - line there must’ve been at least 2 hours deep.

Kev: Where did you wind up? We wound up with family at Tamarus Country Club in Rancho Mirage. Not my choice. Pretty depressing. I hate Thanksgiving in a club or restaurant personally.

Kevin is in a fucking food coma. Radio silent since…

6 courses from Szechuan Impression for a small group. Less than $100. Had leftover mao cai all to myself cuz the Korean side wussed out and couldn’t hang.

Never eating turkey at anybody’s house again.

1 Like

i wish i could promise this. turkey is an abomination.
however, until i really lean into that hermit lifestyle i aspire to…

A report back about my Joe’s experience. In short, not recommended. The kitchen, waitstaff, and space was just overwhelmed on Thanksgiving. We were seated at least 20 minutes after our reservation at a hallway table between the bar/host area and main dining room. Felt a bit cramped and not very relaxing since the kitchen and restrooms also join the hallway. Starter root vegetable soup was lukewarm. I choose the oyster pie and buttermilk biscuit as my starter, which was tasty (and the appropriate temp). Went non-traditional for my main and had the black cod, which was perfectly cooked. They had already run out of brussels sprouts as a side option (our reservations were for 6:45) so we opted for the cauliflower, cornbread stuffing, and braised greens. Cauliflower was terrible. Almost raw. Braised greens unremarkable. Did not try the stuffing. Deconstructed pumpkin pie was my dessert choice. It was fine. Difficult to get refills, utensils, etc. throughout the meal. I hope my family decides to stay in next Thanksgiving. Made me miss the comfort of a home-cooked holiday…even if the cranberry sauce comes out of a can.

1 Like

We had a long wait the one time we went to Joe’s. Maybe 20 minutes after we ordered the longer tasting menu we still had no food. Joe came by to introduce himself as the chef and owner, I was sorely tempted to say, oh, you’re the chef? could you go in the back and see what’s holding up our first course?

Outside of that initial delay everything was great. I think even restaurants that are typically very consistent can have breakdowns when they’re doing a special holiday menu that’s a big departure from their usual everyday routine.

2 Likes