Thanksgiving lunch or dinner in a restaurant, hav eyou ever done it

Not cheap at $72 per. Thankfully I’m not footing the bill this time around :grin:

Did the Bel Air several times and though it was kinda pricey, it was good. That was before the remodel and Puck taking over the restaurant. It is now $155 per person and I think a $35 parking charge. Mom was thinking about going there this year, and I talked her out of it, no Thanksgiving meal is worth that much.

I took my parents to Elite once for Thanksgiving. We’re not big into tradition. And let’s get real: turkey isn’t very good. There’s a reason you don’t typically find turkey on the menus of good restaurants.

1 Like

and restaurants still charge a considerable amount for it. Unless we are talking about the goods from say animal or cozan and Niels.

Kevin,

We go to Hong Kong Palace in Rowland heights. Carts, very old school but fun and tasty. (I’d invite you but this year, for the first time, we have friends joining us and I’m not sure how that is going to go. There may be big venting…)

You might want to see if Lunasia in Pasadena is open for Thanksgiving - they have dim sum all day and, you can get a drink with it : ) HPK ends it’s dim sum around 2 I think.

1 Like

Turkey can be great, if you get a heritage bird and know what to do with it. The right bird roasted properly is better than chicken.

Fun!

1 Like

That sounds really fucking dope.

Will you do me a favor and try the egg tarts and report back.

And sometimes the low key carts is a great fucking way to go.

1 Like

Kevin,

Lunasia in Pasadena IS open on Thanksgiving - but they just have beer or wine. Still, a darn fine option!

They have portugese egg tarts.

I’ll report back on the Hong Kong Palace ones.

1 Like

NORMS Restaurants will be serving the Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner, which includes: Roast Turkey, Cream of Turkey Vegetable Soup, Mixed Green Salad, Savory Bread Stuffing, Giblet Gravy and Fresh Mashed Potatoes, Fresh Candied Yams, Fresh Squash, Fresh Cranberry Sauce AND Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pie

1 Like

The Pantry, with the Woman In The Hat, who USUALLY wants “decor” and “ambiance”. (We had something fancier scheduled for the next day) STILL had a good time, and IIRC, it was 18 bucks each including coffee and pie.

We’ve done what we now call our “Annual Jews’, Buddhists’ and Heathens’ Xmas Dim Sum in The SGV” for fifteen or so years, since Cam The Man was a Pup; now it’s his show to run. Hadn’t thought about doing Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh…look what I found at Costco! Cleveland here we come…
:relaxed:

1 Like

score! your son will be going to town! (and you’ll be saving a bit of $$ while he and his friends have a great time—good move dad!)

1 Like

“Did you ever know that you’re my hero…”
“…For you are the wind beneath my wings…”

I hope they sing this to you in four-part harmony.

3 Likes

Here in Vegas, where we usually cook the traditional meal (actually, we often skip the turkey and make a meal of sides). We both have a nasty cold this week and don’t feel like cooking, so I went out to the local BBQ place (Rollin’ Smoke) and picked up a couple of pounds of excellent smoked turkey breast – super moist with great smoked flavor. We’ve never considered going out to a Strip restaurant for T-day, as the already inflated prices tend to get jacked up on holidays. As for small independent restaurants, there aren’t many of those here in Vegas.

Like Robert, we went to Schroeder’s in San Francisco one year, but our experience was different. SO had the turkey dinner, and I went for the sauerbraten, but had their turkey dressing as a side. We both felt the turkey was fine, and the dressing was excellent (sauerbraten was good as always). Interesting side-drama when we arrived, mid-afternoon. There were only a few customers there, but a good number of staff. A staff meeting was just winding up, and it was pretty obvious that the chef (Stefan Filipcik – a great guy) was delivering bad news. I later asked what was going on, and it turned out that a party of 25 had called in and cancelled at the last minute. This was after Stefan had brought in extra help to handle the big party.

OT, but I just wish Stefan would come out of retirement and start up another restaurant, because nobody makes goulash soup like he used to make. Looking at the menu for the new Schroeder’s, I have no interest in trying it out.

It’s worth putting up with the bland remodeled Schroeder’s to eat Manfred Wrembel’s food.

bring back some stadium mustard.

and some pierogis.

2 Likes

you might try the place at e 36th & st clair for dinner. pass on dim sum.

cleveland’s chinatown is so small the mayor is polish (just kidding) consists of 3-4 storefronts, and not all of them are open. the other side of the street (rockwell) is a trucking depot. i lived at 2134 until the age of 5.

personally, if they’re open, i’d go to lola downtown

or if players is open in lakewood.

EDIT: it might be 30th and st clair, now that i think about it.

2 Likes

Ipsedixit,

I am back from my dim sum Thanksgiving and - oy!

Really fabulous food, great conversation and laughter, but one of the gals who was with us usually orders extra to take home. So I ordered extra for the husband and I, and her. Turned out she only wanted one order of chicken and rice in lotus leaves to go. And our other friend was then driving for two hours to another Thanksgiving.

We now have 8 small boxes filed with dim sum in our fridge. We have food for DAYS.

Well, I guess that’s what Thanksgiving is - bounty! ; )

2 Likes