The Bang Bang Thread

If my parents served me a portion of pasta like that as a kid I would have run away.

2 Likes

if mine had, maybe i wouldnt be mistaken for jabba the hutt quite so often.

5 Likes

That portion of cacio e pepe is consistent with how they actually serve the dish in Italy. If you pull up photos of places on yelp that serve it in Rome they look pretty similar in portion size:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/cacio-e-pepe-roma?select=AArTmP7-7X6qKrYM-m1EMA

Their small portions allow me to maintain my girlish figure

1 Like

Just that particular dish or all pastas?

Probably all pastas, I just thought a direct comparison would be nice to illustrate. Most higher end places lean towards serving pasta in Italian portions rather than the ginormous American portions of places like Olive Garden.

In terms of pasta portion complaints, I think the only really serious one I’ve come across has been Bestia’s agnolotti, which come about 8-10 to an order when you would receive 2x that in Italy…

You mean most higher end American places? Because I don’t consider Jon & Vinny’s a “higher end” restaurant, it’s pretty casual.

And in Italy, a simple, small plate of pasta doesn’t cost $18 (~ €17).

3 Likes

The price and execution don’t indicate a higher end restaurant to you?

I don’t consider a place where waiters and cooks wear t-shirts “higher end,” no matter how good the food is.

I do agree that Jon & Vinny’s has excellent food, though. The marinara pizza actually makes me willing to drive all the way up Fairfax.

More than three bites.

2 Likes

Did you make that?

Nah, that is a place in Rome called Felice A Testaccio.

1 Like

Probably a subject for its own thread. ???

1 Like

Is there a high end place in LA then?..

Sawtelle Japantown Lunch Bang Bang

But first coffee

And off to Grandpa and Grandma’s House (If I had Japanese Grandparents that
would adopt me and feed me nomz like this adorable couple)

All of those pickled veggies in that bento box was so good. A small piece of fish was also tasty. I wish I could tell you what’s what. That chicken hamburger would be great on a cold night over white rice and gravy!
The maki sushi! Yum. Spinach,egg,mushroom,pink stuff, and LOVE.

Then off to Sushi Tsujita

The Platinum Chirashi. The shrimp was meh. One of the scoops of Uni was bitter. I’ll tell you what all of the sashimi pieces were really good, ALL had a savory taste that did not need a ginger-soy sauce brush. Umami. Tasty. Oh the rice was had seaweed, cucumber,and egg all throughout, every bite was full of flavor. That soup was also very savory, with a hint of smoke to it.

Rainbow Umbrella Fruit Cart, Mixed fruit with lime juice only. I LOVE these fruit carts ALL of them. This at the Best Buy.

12 Likes

No.

Just to add some more thoughts on Sushi Tsujita. There is also a $30 Chirashi Bowl and even cheaper Tuna or Salmon bowl.
Yes you are paying more ($10-15), BUT most places offering chirashi bowls are not giving you fish that has been aged to bring out the umami flavors.
That is not to say cheaper stuff can’t be enjoyed (I love all different sushi). I am just justifying why it is a little more expensive than what you normally see.

3 Likes

Have you tried their platinum kaisendon bowl? I prefer it over the bara-chirashi plus it’s 10 dollars less.

4 Likes

that’s unfortunate, those gonads look like they had better days. did you notice if the uni happened to be the last pieces from the tray?

Haven’t tried it yet. I do appreciate the different bowls though.

I like the rice in chirashi though. The egg, seaweed, and cucumber is so good in the rice.