The Best Way to Cook Dried Beans (and All the Myths You Should Ignore)

1 Like

while you might assume all beans are identical, they arenā€™t. older beans take longer to cook. personally, i prefer to presoak using less water initially - allowing the beans to absorb liquid overnight allows one to gauge more accurately how much water to add, if necessary, for cooking and thus have more control over the consistency of the pot liquor.

iā€™ve routinely used beans as a protein source for years feeding the homeless, and iā€™ve had a lot of latino folks tell me my beans taste like the ones made by their mothers/grandmothers. personally, i find it hard to mess up pinto beans. i like using an electric pressure cooker that i can just set and forget - and because thereā€™s less evaporation, monitoring the initial amount of liquid is important.

as much as i love pintos, black beans have become my go-to for beans and rice. garlic, cumin, onion and couple of chili peppers - and i never use the same amount - just by feel. secret ingredients may include a shredded head of cabbage (which completely disappears into the beans after cooking, but adds a sweetness), if pork skin attached to a little fat/meat is available, a piece big enough to cover the beans. maybe bouillon or fish sauce - and now that iā€™m serving boxed servings, a squirt of olive oil on top of each individual serving.

iā€™ve become a fan of salt/fat/acid/heat. while salting before is generally recommended by nosrat, you can salt certain things too much or too early. the important thing is to understand what youā€™re doing and know the qualities of the particular salt that youā€™re using, not to mention the qualities of the other ingredients. if i use bouillon or say, fish sauce or something else thatā€™s a source of salt, you should adapt accordingly.

6 Likes

My mom nor grandma never soaked the beans. But I agree with you. I do mostly because of that timing issue. Also, I often make beans to then add to other dishesā€¦ so for me the soaking gets a nice jump start for the skin and inside the bean so that it cooks more evenly.

1 Like

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: something the article does not address - potential digestion issues. on my last batch, i did not replace the soaking water of my black beans, and yesterdayā€¦ how can i put thisā€¦ i experienced a prolific level of pungent & audible flatulence that made me grateful for the lockdown.

i shall not neglect to change the soaking water ever again.

3 Likes

You know bean-related flatulence was what got Harold McGee interested in food science?

The main reasons for presoaking beans are to shorten the cooking time substantially, and to leach out the indigestible carbohydrates that make beans gassy. The disadvantage of presoaking is that you also leach out many other soluble materials, including vitamins and minerals.

You retain more nutrients by cooking the beans in the soak water, but you also retain the gassy carbohydrates. I recommend soaking beans, then cooking them in the same water at a bare simmer for at least a couple of hours, even if theyā€™re soft before then. Extended cooking breaks down the gassy carbohydrates.

https://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/a-healthy-way-to-boil-beans-and-saute/

LOL!!! YES! I always change the water (And add epazote) :wink:

1 Like
1 Like

You beat me to it, @robert - came here to post the same link.

I love that she writes of cooking beans as a ritual: thatā€™s an attitude I strive to embrace, especially during these challenging times when it feels like Iā€™m cooking beans (or lentils) every week.

1 Like

to each their own; i could be very hands on and grill a steak to medium rare, watching, feeling, smelling, etc. the entire way - or i could use sous vide techniques to bring the meat up to the appropriate temperature and then simply sear the meat. if a third party canā€™t taste the difference between the two steaks, the question becomes: is it somehow impure to substitute technology for experience/skill?

if iā€™m making refried beans, itā€™s not really possible to overcook them; you donā€™t care if the beans split - and youā€™re essentially mashing them when you ā€˜refryā€™ them. so why not use an automated process to cook them?

if one places additional value derived from an entirely hands-on process, fine, but if a third party canā€™t taste any difference between dishes that are otherwise identical except for the amount of interactive monitoring of the process, should it matter? i think i referred to using my electric pressure cooker as ā€˜set and forgetā€™. i also ā€˜cheatā€™ by adding layers of fatty pork skin and sometimes seared/browned pork butt/shoulder/leg which i remove afterwards, and continue to cook in a slow cooker with a salsa verde for another four hours for pork chile verde, which i also essentially ā€˜set and forgetā€™. i can live with that since iā€™m cooking for a group.

Serious Eats says brining beans in water and baking soda produces the creamiest beans.

Sorry, didnā€™t realize there was a dedicated thread to this, also posted here. I just tried a batch earlier this week with just salt and today with the salt and soda brining. Not stringently controlled conditions but the same recipe from the same type of beans cooked the same way and the salt and soda definitely makes a difference.

1 Like