The fire is already out at Slow Burn 🤬

I really don’t know the specifics in LA right now but, in my experience, a California “41” license is wine and beer only - not “liquor”…. as in spirits. These licenses are usually nowhere near as costly as full on hard liquor licenses.

Bottom line here, though, is that he’s communicating via social media but not offering the slightest explanation. On top of not even a posted statement on the property, it certainly sounds like something odd. It’s not like the guy has no experience in the industry.

6 Likes

It’s definitely odd as fuck. If the closure is really temporary, it’s even odder than if they just encountered some showstopper problem. If a disgruntled employee or partner was the issue, he may be too busy trying to get things started again to worry about PR.

A type 41 license is typically not expensive, but the ABC’s documentation requirements are the same. You have to show them where the money’s coming from and every investor and their spouses have to be fingerprinted.

I somehow got the Instagram link for the chef rather than the business.

This isn’t the link to the Instagram account, just the hashtag.

I do not have Adam Fleischman’s personal phone number, nor have I ever, to my knowledge. I am not aware that anyone else that works at Eater does as well. However, we do communicate with people that work with Fleischman and received confirmation of the fate of Slow Burn. Those are the facts.

17 Likes

If people in a position to know say the closure is permanent and Fleischman says it’s reopening soon, that’s seriously weird.

could they have gotten a cease and desist letter from some other slow burn restaurant?

3 Likes

we’ll continue to see what happens regarding the supposed reopening. This resembles what happened with ChocoChicken: Will ChocoChicken Actually Come Back to Downtown? - Eater LA

1 Like

Sounds like ChocoChicken (good grief what a terrible concept and name) at least announced they were closing.

A restaurant with reservations suddenly going dark, disconnecting its phone, and taking its web site and Resy accounts offline, all with no announcement or even an explanatory note in the window … weird.

Why do you make stuff up and state it as fact?

4 Likes

False assumption on my part, maybe. Eater interviewed Fleischman and got quotes from him on multiple occasions. All the restaurant news pieces I ever wrote, I still have phone numbers for everyone I quoted. All the interviews I did as a restaurant owner were on my cell phone.

2 Likes

@PorkyBelly Food Detective

3 Likes

A trademark conflict is no reason for a business to shut down. You can just change the name.

That happened to Absinthe in San Francisco. So long ago that I can’t remember its original name.

And we have been open 1 week not 3

maybe fact-free fly-by-night fleeceman should get his facts straight. first night of service was 1/7 as posted by his chef.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYcuFjBPT_p/

3 Likes

Maybe semantics? Definition of soft open versus grand open?

Eh, whatevs. I got no pony in this race. Back to my popcorn…

2 Likes

fuck that’s fine!

6 Likes

Further fun for FTC friends…

5 Likes

The chef’s Jan. 7 post said the spotless, empty kitchen was “ready” for the first night of service. J_L’s report on 1/16 said they soft-opened earlier that week. First Yelp report was for 1/14.

no, first yelp report was on 1/7, the first night of service.

I take the first Yelp post as hype from a friend of the chef. No mention of any specific dish. And J_L said they opened the next week.