The Frozen Food Thread

FIFY

Just saw this thread.

We call them WCBs and I keep meaning to buy the big box. We seem to always breakfast and dinner things on site but not lunch. These are perfect.

Our family loves these shao bing. A few minutes in the toaster oven and they puff up nice and flaky with the interior still moist. We usually get them from 99 Ranch. I like them better than the “fresh” ones from Four Seas.

what frozen goods are y’all stocking for breakfast besides frozen croissants? Through my internet searches, these products have risen to the top. The situation is clearly not ideal but I’m trying to make the best of it here.

Jimmy Dean Meat Lover’s breakfast
Red’s breakfast sandwiches
Red Baron scramble
Jimmy Dean Honey Wheat English Muffin
Devour All Day Breakfast

2 Likes

Buy and freeze breakfast burritos from your favorite purveyors?

3 Likes

I started doing that this year and it works hella well. You can freeze salsa to go with it too. If you get a catering order you might even get a discount.

Frozen breakfast burritos are great. Wrap a moist paper towel around them and pop them in the microwave and you’re ready to eat.

1 Like

1000% this. I can’t believe how well this technique works. I would’ve thought the eggs would suffer but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

what frozen goods are y’all stocking for breakfast besides frozen croissants?

If you’re not committed specifically to handheld stuff (eg, pastries, sandwiches, burritos, etc.) then casseroles generally work well, too. We did french toast casserole and vegan “frittata” for a recent camping trip that worked out well.

Jook freezes and thaws pretty decently - it sometimes needs to be re-homogenized a little but not much. Don’t freeze brown rice jook, though. I’m not sure why but the bran and germ don’t fare as well as white rice.

As far as reheating, this blog does a decent job testing best practices for freezing and reheating. I’m not 100% in agreement with everything but it’s usually my first stop to for trying to freeze and thaw something new.

I’m looking for a daily option that is less than $10/ea. Probably a thought for the “rising food prices” thread.

3 Likes

Fair point - breakfast burritos are edging over $10/ea these days although you can still find them just below that in a lot of places. Some fast food breakfast burritos aren’t too bad and well under $10 but I’m not sure I can recommend that fully.

How about tamales? Those reheat real well.

3 Likes

my local purveyor is $11.99 + tax + guilt tip + extra charges for extra salsa

Absolutely. We buy a few dozen for “Mexican Christmas” on Christmas Eve (my wife’s family calls it that). We always have leftovers. We just finished them a couple of weeks ago, and they were still great!

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the exact thread for this but I’ve been testing freezing and storing food we make or purchase from restaurants (eg, stews, curries, beans, etc.). Not new ground by any means but I like that 1) some relatively common Indian dishes are great a freezing and thawing and 2) some Indian restaurants offer catering volumes that make it more worthwhile.

Just a quick test but the below chicken curry and eggplant from Curry Hut froze and thawed really well:

I’m particularly trying to find vegetable dishes that freeze and thaw well if anyone has any suggestions. We’ll probably be keeping frozen saag paneer around as a last minute high fiber option but I’m not a huge fan of how they make it at Curry Hut – it’s basically a soup.

7 Likes

Chana Marsala freezes very well. Also, Indian Breads are a great thing to have in the freezer. Roti, Chapati, Naan, you can find all of these in Indian Market Freezers (and Trader Joes) and it make a simple clear the fridge curry into something more special.

2 Likes

Good call!

Just scrolling back through the thread and saw your Porto’s posts. Have you tried getting their breakfast burritos and freezing? They’re surprisingly good and still under $10/each. Maybe they’re too far to be convenient for you, though

I’ve settled on Reds air fryable breakfast burritos. At $3/unit it makes a better “daily driver”.

Whoa, can’t beat that price for sure! Good find

Warehouse Deal now:

Limit 80. Can you manage?

3 Likes

In a pinch, they make good fish tacos and I use them to make my own Filet-o-Fish.

3 Likes