The Manufactory (Tartine Bianco, Alameda Supper Club, The Market) - ROW DTLA

It’s like going to see Metallica and hoping they play songs from Kill Em, Lightning, Master, and Justice but nope here is St Anger Live!

But why are you hoping? The set list is online dude. You know it’s not going to happen.

Just judge the place by its own merits and if it doesn’t work out vote with your wallet. If chefs only did what the people want you’d get tragic results like Raku removing yakitori pig intestine and beef tendon.

1 Like

Where’s the archive of press releases?

it’s more like going to see velvet revolver/audioslave in la while stp/soundgarden is playing in phoenix. if you want to hear sex type thing/black hole sun drive to arizona.

2 Likes

I saw Audioslave in concert and they played Black Hole Sun :wink:

There is an apt scene in Woody Allen’s “Stardust Memories”:

Sandy: “Look, here’s my point. If nothing lasts, why am I bothering to make films or do anything for that matter?”

Aliens: “We enjoy your films! Particularly the early, funny ones.”

2 Likes

I was this close to posting that clip!
Great movie . . . still.

I can’t find an archive, but it’s hard to read an article like this and feel like he has been clear all along that he wouldn’t be making pizza:

Exactly.That’s more of the spirit of being present. I’m having so much fun now, with Chad [Robertson] on our downtown project, Row DTLA. And I think we will have one Pizzeria Bianco here; that’s my goal. I want to take everything that I’ve done, and not replicate it, but see what I’d have done differently. You stop when you’re done.

Then there’s also sites like Eater which do announcements that are basically press releases, such as this one, where they say things like " The majorly anticipated property takes up basically an entire ground floor of one building at The Row, and will offer everything from pizzas by way of Bianco (and Tartine’s Chad Robertson) to pastries by Tartine’s Elisabeth Pruiett, to dinner from Robertson (alongside Bianco)." Or this exclusive, back in 2017 when the project was first announced, which says “The street-level floor will be home to, among other things: a coffee lab; bakery; market and market restaurant (which will serve the aforementioned Bianco pizza).”

1 Like

And by the time they were done, a year and a half later, they were serving pizza at the bar instead of the restaurant, and calling it flatbread.

Eater reports aren’t very reliable, when they’re short on facts they sometimes fill in the gaps with wishful thinking or lazy assumptions.

3 Likes

wait, wtf… glad i clicked here… canceling our 4 top for this weekend.

Any reviews on the ice cream at the Manufactory?

haven’t tried it yet, but i did enjoy their soft serve in sf.

3 Likes

love me some good soft serve
do you remember what flavors they had?

i got the fior di latte in sf, sorry can’t remember the other flavors.

at the row, i believe they were selling vanilla and coffee soft serve the last time i walked by about a week ago.

and apparently passionfruit

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvr2KIUBwF1/

1 Like

I feel like both reviews were carefully worded to be polite. It seems like Bill Addison is being a bit “nicer” as well in his choice of expressions and words, leaning on more of an encouraging tone.

I don’t think service is mentioned in either article, which is a bit telling to me.

I agree that the bread at Tartine is the best part about the place. The olive fougasse is so damn good. It’s like half olive half bread.

I’ve never thought Bill Addison to be a particularly flowery writer. I may have to rethink that thought.

I think Bill Addison’s review of Alameda Supper Club captures it really well though, despite maybe being carefully worded. As I mentioned in the other thread on this restaurant (Alameda Supper Club - #4 by DTLAeater), the food is not necessarily all that memorable, but it’s hard to fault it (at least the 3-4 items that I tried). I would happily eat both of the pastas I tried on any given night, I just don’t crave them like I might some other pastas I’ve tried around town.

Cocktails also looked quite interesting, but didn’t try them, despite my co-diner having 3!

1 Like

Well, easy come, easy go…