The Michelin Guide to return to Los Angeles as part of new California edition

So, then they should keep coming back before giving a star? Or do they take the star away if the restaurant goes downhill? Or in the case of continued excellency they award another star?

Their philosophy as to what’s acceptable for 1 star changed IMO. Hong Kong’s Yat Lok and Kam’s Roast Goose are prime examples of that which may have 1 item on the menu that’s 1 star worthy (whatever that means) within its own highly specialized Canto BBQ category. They’re put there to tell people that the guide’s more inclusive now. It’s hard for me to see how those places’ overall quality is anywhere close to comparable to say VEA in HK or Babbo in NYC.

one of the reasons i’m hearing from LA food people is that they’re afraid that the chefs in LA will start to conform to Michelin guide standards. Our restaurants will end up using the same formulas other cities with a Michelin guides have and we all end up with non creative food, tasting menus for high end restaurants, luxury ingredients to please Michelin, etc.

5 Likes

The protocol, supposedly, is there are at least 3 to 4 visits from inspectors during the year before a restaurant can be given a star. Also, stars do get taken away regularly for 1 or 2 star restaurants. On occasions, 3 stars get demoted to 2 like Daniel and Jean Georges in NYC and COI in SF.

1 Like

Yeah, that won’t be good. And they’ll lose a lot of diners along the way.

1 Like

to be fair, i feel like all the new restaurants in LA follow pretty similar formulas for plating and dish types now.

How many different types of $6-8 bread plates, hummus, hamachi crudo, charred veggie do i need?

3 Likes

This should be a FTC confession, but I have know idea if I’ve eaten in a Michelin star restaurant.

2 Likes

Good point.

Have you tried CUT, Mori Sushi, or Osteria Mozza? All 3 had a star back in the days.

From MIchelin Guide 2008

TWO STARS
Melisse
Providence
Spago
Urasawa

ONE STAR
Asanebo
Bastide
CUT
Dining Room at the Langham Pasadena
Gordon Ramsay at The London
Hatfield’s
La Botte
Mori Sushi
Ortolan
Osteria Mozza
Patina
Sona
Sushi Zo
Trattoria Tre Venezie
Valentino
Water Grill

3 Likes

I literally ate in a supply closet @ Kam’s. No napkins either.

Was the goose amazing? Dear god yes.

1 Like

Exactly! But we have to close our eyes on everything else on the menu that’s just average or meh.

Oh okay. I’ve been to Osteria Mozza a few times and Cut twice. I’ve had Mori’s sushi but not at Mori Sushi. I might have gone to a couple of Michelin restaurants with my parents when I was a chowpup. But that doesn’t count.

Does that mean they don’t have a star anymore??

The guide stopped publishing in LA in after 2009 so the restaurants still have their stars from those 2 years but they aren’t “current”.

2 Likes

Well whadya’ know. I’m a Michelin star diner. :relaxed:

Spago (including original)
CUT
Dining Room at the Langham Pasadena
Ortolan
Osteria Mozza
Patina
Valentino
Water Grill

Thanks!

1 Like

Only true ballers don’t realize they’re ballers :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Hah! I’ll take that.

3 Likes

Is it starting already?

:slight_smile: AFAIK I’ve only eaten at one and I didn’t know about their * until I had the res. A rec from a CH hero.

Has this been posted? If so, let me know and I’ll delete.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/michelin-guide-los-angeles-california?did=356049-20190323&utm_campaign=faw-the-dish_newsletter&utm_source=foodandwine.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=032319&cid=356049&mid=19564515225