The Sale Thread

Not if it includes bugs

3 Likes

Grocery Outlet tends to share the wealth. We’ve found things in the Oxnard Store in the DTLA store and Highland Park store… BUT the good stuff can go super fast. We found these huge bags of King Arthur Bread Flour for something ridiculous like $3. Less than their typical bags would cost. But they were gone in a day. I love Grocery Outlet, but it’s like TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods… you’ll find your own special deals… just don’t expect the deals your friends got.

3 Likes

Big Lots can be like that too. Just last week, I scored several 2lb bags of King Arthur organic AP flour for only a buck a bag. The best by date was Feb 2022. Given how much I will be baking over the holidays, I cleared out their shelves and got all remaining 5 bags. 10 lbs for $5 was a steal!

They had a couple of bags of wheat too but I had just stocked up and the date was December.

I’ve regularly seen various Bob Mills products available with short dates too. It’s usually worthwhile for me to take a quick gander at the food aisle of a Big Lots, never know what you might find.

4 Likes

WOW! Thanks for DL on Big Lots. I haven’t been in one in AGES and even as a big discount shopper, I have never really found anything there WOW. But I will have to give it another chance…

I mean, I wouldn’t make it a regular thing, it’s about setting expectation levels. We pop into one when it’s convenient and we have a few minutes to kill. But we don’t necessarily expect to find something. We treat it more like a scavenger hunt, if we find something, great! If not, let’s get going to where we were headed originally.

3 Likes

Pretty good sale at Williams Sonoma right now on Staub and La Creuset cast iron cookware if you’re in the market.

Shun knives are also on sale.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten into some trouble suggesting that GO stores (like any smart retailer) tailor there selections to their local demographic. There’s a continuing topic on CH for GO Bay Area and I hardly ever find the same or even similarly interesting items at my local GO in Lake Forest (OC). This store seems to be more of an everyday bargain market and caters to more of a Food4Less audience than those in the Bay.

I was told I’m not looking hard enough, but I think I am. I’m not knocking GO in general, but either the foodies here buy out the good stuff very quickly or it never gets into the mix. Just sayin’.

1 Like

[quote=“Dommy, post:202, topic:2700”]
@Luluthemagnificent @Happybaker @attran99 @TheCookie [/quote]

SUMMAFAVICH they are back at it!

Dallas seems to kick off the season… as soon as I hear about the LA Sale, I’ll let you guys know!! Mystery boxes are back… EEk!

–Dommy!

14 Likes

I look forward to maybe running into you IRL if this sale hits LA! Thanks, @Dommy!

3 Likes

Wow! Wow! Thanks for this and yes, if LA happens oh. Oh. Would so love to go and get a mystery box! And maybe even see you in person (gasp!)

3 Likes

Please! :blush:

3 Likes

I first heard about this from you in 2019 and immediately signed for the 2020 event. Then yeah…so I’d be all over this if it happens.

3 Likes

LA based Hedley & Bennett is having their Mystery Box sale. They do this two times a year. It’s a good deal for a high quality and locally made apron.

https://www.hedleyandbennett.com/products/mystery-box-apron

We got one last year for P (He doesn’t like the Pinafore Trader Joes ones like I do) and we hoped for someone a little wild just for fun… and we got their classic apron in raw denim. It was taken a beating over the course of the year and P has really liked it. It’s super sturdy and comfy. Please excuse the washed out crinkly photo. IRL it’s actually a dark indigo and P doesn’t mind it crinkled as long as it’s clean. :rofl:

6 Likes

waiting for my mystery box Hedley & Bennett to come in next week!

2 Likes

Good luck!! P. is slightly upset he didn’t get one of the Sesame Street ones… LOL!!

1 Like

Thanks! I grabbed one, too!
Been getting too much flour on myself these past weekends.

4 Likes

Me too. Not the flour part but more oil splatter on shirts.

3 Likes

I still love my Trader Joes Aprons, but YES. I WFH now and love to compose my lunch or get started on dinner early in between client meetings, but I couldn’t change back and forth, so Aprons have become a way of life for me. I love the slip on and off simplicity of the TJ’s apron, but I was really impressed by these in terms of the comfort around the neck and the big long and wide strings. I didn’t feel cinched at all the few times I’ve worn it (usually in between my washings of the TJ aprons). Bonus that it’s all locally made. ENJOY!

3 Likes

My 2 just came in yesterday! I have to say though the best QPR in aprons are the ones from The Reluctant Trading experiment -Jeremy Fox posted about them a while back. I have a box of spices Omw from them too

1 Like

Good to know! Although with H&B we are playing premium that they are made here in L.A., it’s nice to have an inexpensive option for gifts

Enjoy your two new aprons!!

1 Like