The Slow (but sure) Death of Western SGV (non-Hot Pot) Sichuan: add Best Noodle House to the dearly departed

Legendary
Nothingness
Chengdu Taste 2.0
Lucky Noodle King
Chuan’s (still there but appears to me to be on life-support)

So many gone and I am sure there are many others.

Went to BNH last night only to find new staff/owner and they were pushing me to get the Xiao Long Bao (LOL). When I asked for Fried Chicken nuggets and Water Boiled fish they told me they were not available anymore. They did still have Youpo Noodles but we took off and had a B+ meal at Spicy City.

At least the opposite is happening on the westside with GuYi, Hop Woo and Sichuan Impression.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @CiaoBob. Very sad to hear.

Word has it that they closed for a month or so during the summer of 2018, and some staffers went to China for that duration. The staff returned and re-opened in October 2018, but without the chef who was the one preparing all the entree (non-noodle) dishes. Not sure the reason why they lost that chef or why they didn’t find a replacement.
We at there last November, and it wasn’t the same as before, so it was the last time I ate there.

Is GuYi still around? I thought it was on life support, too, for some reason (haven’t been myself).

Yeah, I went about a month ago and saw the new owner. Menu was the same as last fall with the original owner after they lost the replacement chef (original opened Chong Qing Special Noodle), but the youpo noodle weren’t quite the same. Noodles were good, but that garlic paste was missing, and ma la wasn’t what it used to be.

I remember being pushed toward the XLB as well, which…no interest.

Slightly unrelated note, but is it just me, or has there been a marked drop in quality across-the-board in the WSGV over the last couple of years? Seems that a lot of places that used to be quite good aren’t what they used to be, even with same ownership. I find myself driving there for dinner less and less…

It does seem that way to me as well - with some exceptions (all the great hotpots, Northern Cafe on Garfield, Jian Nan Spring). Maybe all the good stuff is in City of Industry/Rowland Heights these days. Or, perhaps, it’s on Olympic, Pico and San Vicente Blvd’s!

I find Seafood Palace, Elite, Lunasia, Longo Seafood, Henry’s Cuisine, Sam Woo, Bodhi Veggie, Beijing Pie House, Luscious Dumplings, Hui Tou Xiang, Omar’s Restaurant, Original Mama Lu’s, and many others to still be the good stuff in the Western SGV.

2 Likes