The state of BBQ in Irvine

RIP to the dear departed Smoke City Market in Sherman Oaks

Iā€™m not so sure I can do this

Kings Deli brisket sandwich (non-bbq) down the street for referenceā€¦

2 Likes

I guess its gone downhillā€¦I owe you!

A real tragedy. However, we found great brisket at Swing Door BBQ on Vanowen somewhere around Vineland. Plenty of fat from the point. Checked out the smokers in backā€“the real thing. The place is small, the drinks are not fountain. Portions are large. There were plenty of ā€œdinersā€ on hand.

1 Like

Sahara desert :cactus:

Soā€¦ anyone have any recs for GOOD BBQ in/near Irvine??

BTW, Left Coast is right near Irvine Valley College so the beer is probably the real draw if there is one. With several OC breweries having really good food, youā€™d think these guys would have done better. We tried it a few months ago and totally agree that the food was beyond poor.

Not an actual restaurant, but there is a guy who usually has a stand at the Irvine farmerā€™s market on Saturdays. Iā€™ve enjoyed the items Iā€™ve tried.

The Q Joint

Best ones in OC Iā€™ve had since Smokey Fredā€™s closed down

• Javā€™s BBQ (at Make Anaheim across the street from Packing District)
  • Ember BBQ at Native Son Alehouse (although just checked Yelp and it says its permanently closed)
  • Heritage BBQ - only see them pop up at breweries usually on the weekend

Slim pickings for us OC folks.

@js76wisco have you tried Santa Maria BBQ in Stanton/Buena Park? Iā€™ve been curious about it.

@attran99 I have not but the pics online look good. From the name I thought it was going to be Santa Maria style tri tip BBQ but it seems like the have a good variety. This is pretty close to my parents house so will try if weā€™re in the mood.

Let me know if you get a chance to try.

1 Like

Leadbelly in Placentia is good - we like it better than Meat Up down the way. Leadbelly gets crowded at night and they donā€™t have a lot of seating. You will come out of the restaurant smelling like smoke.

1 Like

Heritage BBQ is opening a brick and mortar location in San Juan Capistrano, across the street from the mission. They say theyā€™ll be open Thursday thru Sunday until sold out. Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s more planned for the location than just that. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes