The Truffle Guru (and Sushi Master) - Shunji Japanese Cuisine [Thoughts + Pics]

Dang…

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Nice! :smile: Congrats on the amazing Truffle Gohan! Lucky!

Did you make sure to order a second pot of Truffle Rice for dessert? :wink:

Full disclosure: I only photographed the gohan, it was for another customer. I have had it and it is pretty special but not my thing in general.

How does it taste ?

I’m guessing that truffles thing is very expensive?

Hi @Funtimes,

It is magnificent! The specially-cooked pot of rice in a traditional cooking vessel, is the perfect backdrop to let you enjoy the fragrant aroma and flavors of the mix of Black and White Truffles. If we ever needed an example of “umami” this might be it. :slight_smile:

It’s a bit pricey, since he usually uses real Alban White Truffles and Black Truffles, and is quite generous (as you can see in those pics), shaving the entire thing into the rice. :slight_smile:

Is it a supplement to the omakase menu that you have to order ahead of time? how much is it?

Full omakase and truffle rice at Shunji.

I literally wrote this down like a goal in life. That is too much want. That is death row meal.

2 Likes

well, if he’s charging a high price for it then he’s not being very generous…

You have to call ahead to make sure he has the truffle. An omakase is specifically made around the truffle rice. It was around $200 per person before tax,tip, and alcohol. It was actually cheaper then I expected tbh.

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Yah you can add it as a supplement, but call ahead. You can then customize how you like (e.g., Black Truffles only (to save on cost), which is still fragrant, or White & Black, etc.). The cost sounds about right from what ilyke said.

1 Like

What’s the price ?

Hi @Funtimes,

Oh, I mentioned it was pretty much what ilykejordans was saying (I didn’t ask for ala carte price, sorry). So we had a full Omakase meal customized around having the Truffle Rice at the end. IIRC it was roughly about $200 per person total (no alcohol added in).

Update:

It had been too long. It was time for another visit to Shunji, to see what Chef-Owner Shunji Nakao was offering on this summery evening. :slight_smile:

Yamato Imo Tofu, Okura Shiso Puree, Santa Barbara Uni:

Fantastic starter. Shunji-san creates a wonderful, airy cube from a special Mountain Yam and a Housemade Tofu. The Okura Shiso Puree is so herbal and fragrant, and the Uni was bright and clean. :slight_smile:

Tsuki no Katsura - Heiankyo (“Ancient Kyoto”) - Junmai Daiginjo Sake (Kyoto, Japan):

First, a huge “Thank You!” to @beefnoguy for this wonderful recommendation. :slight_smile: Shunji-san hadn’t ever tried this one before, so he was interested in partaking in some of this Sake as well.

Taking a sip, it has a beautiful almost fruit-like taste - almost like Strawberries in season - but obviously without any actual sugary sweetness. It’s gentle and round, and finishes clean. Shunji-san took a sip, looked at us and simply said, “Umai” (“Delicious”). :slight_smile:

This paired very well with most of the dishes this evening.

Marinated Ikura - Salmon Roe - Alaska, U.S.A.:

Refreshing, crisp little pops of briny deliciousness.

Zensai (Starter Course):

Housemade Edamame Tofu + Dashi Jello:

Very good. But we enjoyed the Yamato Imo Tofu starter a bit more.

Tsuru Murasaki - Indian Spinach + White Fish:

Beautifully minerally, vegetal.

Fig + Housemade Sesame Shiro Miso:

Wow! Truly celebrating the season, a perfectly ripe, super sweet Fig, and the pairing with the Housemade Sesame White Miso gives you that contrast of a bit of salty and sweet, and just a flavor explosion. :slight_smile:

Braised Octopus + Braised Ginger / Halibut Marinated in Konbu / Shrimp Marinated in Shio Koji:

All very good, but the Braised Octopus and Braised Ginger was one of the best bites of the evening! Super tender (shockingly so) Braised Octopus is one of the most tender Octopus I’ve ever tasted. And the Braising Sauce was gentle and delicate (not overly salty, nor sweet, etc.). Just balanced enough to accentuate the Octopus. The Braised Ginger only had a hint of the inherent spiciness of Ginger, instead being so tender and well-marinated, it could’ve been mistaken for Daikon Radish(!). :blush:

Hime Sazae (Turban Shell):

Pickled Daikon Radish / Tai (Red Snapper) Fish Tofu / Summer Squash Marinated in Konbu:

All wonderful little bites to finish off the Starter Course.

Gorgonzola Cheese Tofu + Honey Dashi + Cherry Tomato:

Normally, I’m not a fan of Gorgonzola Cheese, but, in the hands of a master like Chef Shunji, wow! This tastes nothing like a standard, super-pungent Gorgonzola, but instead is sublime, light and airy, carrying the lightness of a great Silken Tofu with these hints of Gorgonzola Cheese - but only a whisper - accentuated by the crazy idea of a Housemade Honey Dashi Broth.

The farmers market Cherry Tomato is bright, popping, sweet with a touch of piquant. And together, this was just excellent. :slight_smile:

White Fish Liver, Eggs, Okra Dashi:

Unagi Kimo Tsukudani - Fresh-Water Eel Liver - Japan:

I’m not an offal fan normally, but Shunji shows off the mastery of preparing Japanese Unagi Liver in a way we’ve never had before. It’s perfectly cooked, tender, and is well-marinated with a light sweet-saltiness. Loved this. :slight_smile:

Braised Hamo (Conger Eel), Summer Seasonal Vegetables, Bainiku Sauce - Hokkaido, Japan:

Another seasonal dish, the Braised Hamo (Conger Eel) from Hokkaido is flaky, delicate, tender, and the pairing with the Housemade Plum Sauce is interesting. It might’ve been a touch overpowering (just a touch), but generally tasty.

Sashimi Course - Hon Maguro, Chu Toro, Shima Aji, Higesoridai, Itoyoridai - Wild Bluefin Tuna, Medium Fatty Tuna Belly, Jack Mackerel, Sweet Lip, Threadfin Seabream:

These were all excellent, but it was also a showcase on why many of us love Shunji’s so much: He always has the widest variety of Fish and so many interesting ones we’ve never heard of before.

This was my first time having Itoyoridai and Higesoridai. It was a real pleasure and great to try new Fish. And while anything Toro is usually the easy “best bite!” category (and it was great!) :slight_smile: my favorite from the Sashimi platter was the Shima Aji on this evening. Stunning! Perfect cut, it had a nice slight fattiness, lending itself to an almost creamy quality. :slight_smile:

Roasted Ayu - Sweetfish - Wakayama, Japan:

This was a fun, interactive course: As the Roasted Ayu was brought out in front of us, a server placed an iPad with an instructional video on how to debone a cooked Ayu Fish! :open_mouth:

It was then our turn to do it. :sweat_smile:

Luckily it was very easy to follow along, and we all deboned the Ayu with no issues.

This Roasted Ayu (it’s almost like a larger Smelt Fish) was so fragrant and delicious, perfectly roasted. The meat inside was still very moist, delicate, and it had this distinct taste, an almost sweet hint in the background. The roasting gave it a bit of smokiness in the crisped Skin. :slight_smile:

Gindara Mizuna Mushimono - Steamed Black Cod, Mizuna & Mushroom Soup - Canada:

When they lifted the cover of this, we could smell the fragrant soup immediately. It engaged our sense of smell first (so important), and then taking a sip…

Seriously?! Imagine the cleanest, most refined, delicate clear Broth that warms your soul, basking in a lightly woodsy aroma, but giving way to buttery, tender, perfectly cooked Black Cod, and you have this magnificent dish!

One of the Best Bites of 2017 and one of the highlights of the evening! :heart:

It was stunning in its execution. Shunji-san and his staff cook this broth down 3 times to get the clarity and refinement and concentration of flavors in this evening’s stunner. And while they “only” use Enoki and Shimeji Mushrooms, along with the herbal Mizuna, whatever black magic was added in, this was far more fragrant and delicious than the last 4 years of Matsutake Dobinmushi that we’ve had (and that’s with the celebrated Matsutake Mushrooms). Fantastic! :blush:

Hamo Tempura - Fried Conger Eel - Hokkaido, Japan:

Flawless. Super light, delicate fry, not oily at all, the Conger Eel was just cooked through, the batter was crispy and light, and the Green Tea Salt gave just enough salinity. So good! :slight_smile:

But then it was time…

Ever since @J_L @Porthos @CiaoBob @theoffalo @PorkyBelly and others had been posting those gorgeous pics on our old board, we knew we had to try this one day, and now, we make it a point to save up and get this. It was time again… :wink:

Black Truffle Gohan - Summer Truffle (Italy) + Winter Truffle (Australia) Steamed Rice - Served with A4 Wagyu (Miyazaki, Japan), and Seasoned Soft-Boiled Egg Yolk, Housemade Miso Soup:

Just watching Shunji-san shaving the Italian Summer Truffle and then the Australian Winter Truffle was already making us salivate, LOL. :laughing: It was so fragrant!

Taking a bite of the perfectly Steamed Rice with the 2 Truffle mixture…

Come on! SO GOOD! Best Bite of 2017! :heart:

It’s so aromatic, there’s so much indescribable flavor in this bite of joy. :blush: But then you take a bit of the Housemade Soft-Boiled Marinated Egg Yolk:

And some of the A4 Wagyu Beef from Miyazaki, Japan (Shunji-san said he felt A5 was too fatty for this course; he preferred the meatiness of A4):

And add it to the bowl of Truffle glory…

And it’s just creamy, luxurious, tender fattiness, on top of the Truffle mixed with perfectly Steamed Rice.

THIS IS SO GOOD! :heart: :heart: :heart:

We were stuffed at this point, but we all really wanted to try Shunji’s new Sushi Rice and some Sushi this evening, so…

Loved his Ginger from Shizuoka. Shunji-san said he buys a special type of Ginger from Shizuoka, Japan, and once he runs out, it’s gone for the year.

Matsukawa Karei - Flounder - Hokkaido, Japan:

We’ve never had Matsukawa Karei before, so this was a treat. First off, as @PorkyBelly @J_L have mentioned, Shunji-san indeed has switched up his Sushi Rice. It looks shockingly red, but in actual taste, it didn’t overpower any of the Fish we tried this evening.

The Karei was meaty, but rather light and delicate (not oily).

Itoyoridai - Threadfin Seabream - Kyushu, Japan:

Buttery, with an almost creamy quality. Outstanding! :blush: My favorite Sushi this evening.

Higesoridai - Sweet Lip - Kyushu, Japan:

Another new Fish we hadn’t tried before, this was slightly more oily and still very bright.

Kohada - Gizzard Shad - Kyushu, Japan:

Beautifully rich, oily, and the most pungent of the Sushi we had this evening. So good! :slight_smile:

Hojicha - Roasted Green Tea:

shunji_075

Wonderful, nice palate cleanser and the start of our Dessert.

Italian Summer Truffle Ice Cream:

Just shut the front door! :laughing:

You first think, how is this possible? But just like our last visit, it’s a revelation…

Every bite is bursting with this stunning, glorious aroma that only great quality Truffles can bring. And it works beautifully in Shunji’s Homemade Ice Cream.

It’s absolutely RIDICULOUS how good this is! :heart:

Best Bite of 2017 (along with the Truffle Gohan). :blush:

Service was spot-on this evening, with our Tea and Sake being refilled regularly. Dishes were cleared out in a timely fashion, without feeling like we were hovered over.

Shunji Japanese Cuisine remains one of our favorite places to eat at in L.A. His creativity with cooked dishes and the wide selection of interesting, different Fishes for Sushi & Sashimi (I think the widest selection of all the Sushi spots around here), along with his affable nature makes it one of L.A.'s top Sushi destinations.

But besides all of that, for us, being able to experience food in an absolutely outstanding way, to stun your senses, to make something SO GOOD, that you can’t stop thinking about it… that’s something we cherish, and Shunji has delivered 3 world-class, stunning bites with the Gindara Mizuna Mushimono (Steamed Black Cod + Mizuna Broth), Truffle Rice, and the Summer Truffle Ice Cream. :heart:

This is something truly amazing, and worth celebrating in our dear city.

Shunji
12244 West Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Tel: (310) 826-4737

http://shunji-ns.com/index.htm

11 Likes

I know… the stuff Shunji serves is just ridiculously good.

1 Like

How am I suppose to choose between Shunji and Mori!!???!!??!

What a meal!

1 Like

Mori is refined old school sushi, pristine as can be in every exacting detail - subtly sublime.

Think of Shunji is Mori’s free-thinking brother - Just as precise in execution, just as tasty, but more inventive on its way to getting there.

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Yes! It is a quandry. :slight_smile: That’s why both are on our only sushi rotation (when we save up enough). :wink:

But I think perhaps you can train and become a master of bang-bang, like @PorkyBelly @J_L. Then you can do a bang-bang and visit Mori Sushi and Shunji on the same night! :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

2 Likes

Based on @JeetKuneBao’s posts he’s well on his way to being a master-bang-banger.

2 Likes

Do both Mori and Shunji!

#YOLOmakase

3 Likes