The Truffle Guru (and Sushi Master) - Shunji Japanese Cuisine [Thoughts + Pics]

Great. You have such a good memory then.

Porky how much was whole bill for you?

and number of pieces ?

It was $172 before tax and tip. I had 32 pieces.

3 Likes

That’s actually not too bad. What does that equate to time wise, 2 hours? Or do you slam it out Jiro style - 30 minutes.

[quote=“Ns1, post:44, topic:4422”]
That’s actually not too bad.
[/quote]True. When I saw they don’t list prices on their website I figured it was one of those “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it” type establishments. But that seems pretty reasonable for those incredible selections.

Yes I’m a hypocrite. I just talked price :flushed:.

Hi @TheCookie,

No no, it’s fine to ask about that. :slight_smile: As I mentioned earlier our Omakase dinners usually run between $125 - $175, depending on seasonal items and add-ons. You can also mention to the server when you make the reservation that you’d like to keep the price within a certain range and they’ll accommodate.

1 Like

They also have a great lunch special if you’re not a glutton like me: $23 for 7 pieces or $40 for 12, each option includes a hand roll and miso soup. Great way to whet your appetite. Warning: it’ll be hard to go any where else after eating at Shunji.

2 Likes

Great suggestion @PorkyBelly! :slight_smile: Yah Shunji’s Lunch Special is a nice way to sample some of the great sushi offerings for cheap.

1 Like

I’ve never ever left Shunji’s satisfied after their $40 lunch special. Always leave hungry.

One time, i did indulge myself and ordered some additional items after the lunch special and left with a $100 lunch bill. Oops.

You’re great. Thanks!

That seems pretty sweet. [quote=“PorkyBelly, post:47, topic:4422”]
Warning: it’ll be hard to go any where else after eating at Shunji.
[/quote]That’s what I’m afraid of.

[quote=“tailbacku, post:49, topic:4422”]
I’ve never ever left Shunji’s satisfied after their $40 lunch special.
[/quote]They just want me to get my feet wet.

It was a nice leisurely 2 hours, nothing like the bang bang I had at Jiro.

1 Like

how quick and how much was Jiro

The man makes a nice subject for a foodocumentary, but I thought his sushi wasn’t as ethereal as the film proclaims (way too much saucing on the neta IMHO). The pace of the meal was indeed quick: 45 min. Cost was about USD$300. This was in 2007 (before the film came out), so prices may have gone up since then.

I just checked the time stamps on my pics and from the first piece to the tamago was 28 minutes. It was about 33600 yen per person or 1200 yen per minute.

2 Likes

does that amount to $300 US ?

These Holiday Shots from last week seem appropriate to this thread title.
Viva Shunji!

9 Likes

my god

:scream:

1 Like