The Wolf - Oakland

Sat on the now-enclosed porch, very pleasant on a warmish evening. They turned on heaters later when it cooled off.

wolf_wine

wolf_menu

foie gras, perfectly seared, nice

soup, very good, spicier than most Mediterranean or French places would dare serve

cavatelli, the combination of lamb and sheep cheese was great

perfectly ripe cheese

Excellent three-hour meal, also drank Saumur and Schiopettino. The food and atmosphere have a strong family resemblance to Wood Tavern’s. Quiet, at least in that room. Great addition to the local dining options.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report, looks promising and good / reasonable wine list too.

pork

duck

Another excellent meal. The not very photogenic onion soup was fantastic. Pork was juicy and delicious despite it being tenderloin. Rice pudding, bread pudding, and fritters were all great.

1 Like

Finally got to The Wolf last week. I though the Piedmontese ribeye was one of the best steaks I’ve had in a long run, great meat and fat, with excellent mashed potatoes and late season tomatoes – and easier could have fed two people. The chicken and duck liver mousse with the fried biscuits were insanely rich, more like dessert – but in the best way.

1 Like

Got out of a movie around 9:20 and ended up at The Wolf because they’re one of the few places on Piedmont open until 10 (Thurs.-Sat. only).

Octopus with butter beans and hummus ($16): great dish, though I had to watch out not to get too much of the salsa verde in one bite.

beets

Beet salad ($9) with I think goat cheese. The not-very-acidic nectarines didn’t make much sense to me in that context.

Duck breast with a ragout of escarole, kohlrabi, duck confit, etc. ($32): great dish. I was worried that the sauce à l’orange would be sweet, but it was a savory demi-glace sort of thing. The peel was overpowering but I just picked it off.

Pork chop with parsnip puree ($32): perfectly cooked, another great dish.

Forgot to photograph the Langres with chipotle honey ($9), which was a surprisingly delicious combination. (I generally object to the American habit of not serving cheese plain.)

Drank a very nice Morgon ($38). Solid service. In terms of value for money, for me this is as good as it gets at the higher end of Berkeley-Oakland restaurants.

1 Like

When I confirmed the reservation I mentioned that we wanted good ventilation and they gave us the table in the southwestern corner of the porch so the breeze was coming in.

Very nice Champagne, modest markup relative to current retail prices.

Octopus perfectly cooked. Could have eaten a bowl of those crisp chickpeas.

Messy to eat but good.

Bucatini perfectly cooked, raw and cooked porciini, nice.

Excellent clams.

I thought I photographed the duck and pork chop but I guess not. Both very good. Coconut-lime sorbet was a refreshing finish. Great meal, great service. Excellent place for a celebration.

Note to self: bring red wine from cellar. All the reds are super-ripe and high alcohol. Ordered the one that was “only” 13% but it was not to my taste at all.

First time to The Wolf for lunch in early June. Have been to Wood Tavern a bunch over the years but never made it here.

Everything was great with the grapefruit sorbet probably being most memorable. The bitterness was somehow there and not there, or at least not overbearing

On the Risotto they used a ramp infused oil to finish. I thought it was part of the stock. Either way delicious

Butter Lettuce & Pea Shoot Salad - snow peas, san joaquin gold cheese, radishes, croutons, champagne vinaigrette

Cheddar & Black Pepper Popover - “onion dip” butter, pecorino, smoked sea salt

Spanish Octopus - crispy chickpeas, salter cucumber, hummus, buttermilk-yogurt sauce, fresno chili relish, sumac

Garlic Roasted Maitake Mushroom Risotto - wild ramps, bloomsdale spinach, green garlic, parmesan, gremolata

Grapefruit Sorbet w/ Campari