Tony Chen (via Eater LA): The Essential Guide to San Gabriel Valley, America's Asian Food Mecca

OK thanks.

Any idea if it’s Malaysian or Indonesian Borneo? Would that make a difference, or were those borders arbitrarily drawn by Europeans?

i can’t speak to the differences between indo and malay but i do have malay friends who have suggested that malay renditions of dishes tend to be…earthier/more rustic compared to singapore, whatever that means.

Great list… I’ve been to a few of these, but clearly I need to catch up and go to a few more!

just exactly what question would that be?

I think he meant ‘answers’.

1 Like

Kalimantan is the name for the Indonesian portion of the island, so I think that answers that question. I don’t know enough about the cuisine in the Malaysian portion to know if that would make any difference, but yeah, the borders on the island were drawn up by the Dutch and British.

1 Like

This excellent (incredible even) Wikipedia article on laksa reflects the complexity and variety of cuisines in this area of the world. Laksa - Wikipedia. Maybe the best foodie travel destination of all (plus monkeys).

Yes, sorry for the confusion

Let me add a few SGV staples of mine,

Factory tea bar- great late hours, best boba in all of LA, always consistent. Get the matcha milk smoothie with boba.

Factory Tea bar
323 S Mission Dr
San Gabriel, CA 91776

Newport Seafood- Always busy, and for good reason.
518 W Las Tunas Dr
San Gabriel, CA 91776

Kosuke- Tiny Ramen spot that has a really unique Kuro (Black garlic oil) version as well as serving popcorn chicken with your ramen bowl.

Kosuke
618 W Main St
Alhambra, CA 91801

1 Like

Wait a sec, CiaoBob. My article didn’t answer your question(s) about Lao Xi Noodle House? Drops head in shame and disappointment and walks off into that cold, dark night :wink:

Great list though. Well done Tony.

It was great - both your discovery of the place and your piece as well as the Wife Special Noodles I had last week.

With a postprandial stop at the beautiful Sam Woo (not words i usually associate) at Rosemead and Valley for Roast Pork ribs.
Is that one new? I do not recall ever being in such a clean Woo.

Uh oh. Too clean = bad food. :smiley:

Thanks CiaoBob. Full credit to Chihuo. They had the first post on Lao Xi Noodle House. I know just enough Chinese to realize those were some very different Shanxi-style dishes.

The Rosemead Sam Woo is the newest. It opened shortly before Chengdu Taste 2 did in the same plaza.

Nicely done.