Tulsi DTLA

A good new South Indian restaurant opened up on DTLA. It’s called Tulsi. They have dhoklas, khandvi, idli, dosas, etc. I ordered delivery, and the quality reminded me of Surati Farsan Mart in Little Indian. What a great addition to DTLA!

9 Likes

Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up! Indian should be way more common on this side of town than it is!

It appears to be a mini chain… they mention one also in Northridge…

https://tulsieatery.com/tulsi-menu/

1 Like

Warrior: this restaurant may provide some satisfaction if you have a hankering for dosas, uttapams, or chaat, but unfortunately I can’t otherwise recommend it. Too many things were wrong with the food. The sprouted mung/moong beans could have been a tasty, healthy dish with a little more care, but the dish had big flaws. There were several unsprouted mung beans that tasted like rocks (and should have been removed), the papadam shell was stale, and the mung beans were under-seasoned. The dosa was pretty good, but also under-seasoned, and the chana daal used to add crunch and nuttiness to the potatoes—flash-fried but otherwise raw—tasted stale and soggy (like it was made yesterday and refrigerated, when it really should have been made on the spot). Coincidentally, tulsi is the Hindi name for holy basil, and the lauded Thai restaurant Holy Basil is about 4 blocks away.

2 Likes

Warrior: as I posted in a review here, I think my review above underrates this restaurant, at least at is performing today. I would unequivocally recommend it for lunch in DTLA.

2 Likes