Twohey's Lost Their Lease

Grabbed dinner at Twohey’s last night - they were slammed and food was so-so (except for the sundae - that was, as always, perfect!) but service was great.

Was talking with the manager who seated us (he’s also one of the owners, I believe): we asked about business and he had a long face - said they’d been doing great but that they’d be closing at the end of January. Lease on the place was quadrupled and they’ve been attempting to renegotiate for several years, to no avail.

They’re looking for another space, but it has to be large enough to accommodate their catering kitchen.

I hate to think of that great building being leveled. One of the better examples of Googie architecture in the area.

So if you want a great sundae with their bittersweet chocolate fudge, or those wonderful onion rings (when they’re properly fried, that is!), you have a month left.

(Also, we asked the manager about the new Twohey’s Tavern in Pasadena - he said it wasn’t doing great because people were expecting the original Twohey’s menu and were upset when it wasn’t offered. Apparently they’re coming out with a new menu in January and will be adding some of the more classic dishes from the original place. We’ve not been to the Tavern as the current menu doesn’t have a lot of appeal for us; sad to say the reviews are pretty harsh.)

2 Likes

Alas, no more sundaes…
…and the Tavern just aint much of a tavern. They have definitely put effort into the room, but imho they need to rethink their menu, and not just because of a need to pay homage to the original Twoheys. I don’t know too many people clamoring for a ham steak at dinner, and the combinations on the burgers are a bit precious, while just not being very good. Also a lot more effort on their beer/wine lists, they only have 2 beers available on tap, bottled is limited, heavy on the IPAs…not a porter or stout in sight. Wine selection is limited and on the pricey side for what they offer. I’d love to support them, but not this model. I guess we’re spoiled by going to the Hermosillo which has great food, even with a limited menu, significantly more depth to their beer/wine list, and overall better value. (Geez, yes, another push for The Hermosillo, but I just can’t help myself).

1 Like

This is the menu on their site: since it’s several years old, is it still somewhat close to what they offer?
http://hpb.la/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Menu-11-29-14.pdf

1 Like

Yep…a few things may have dropped off, but there’s usually a special of some sort, and you can now add bacon to those brussels sprouts if you want…they’re my favorite (w/out the bacon). Fried pickles/jalapenos are also good. Cheese/charcuterie - nice selection, incl. condiments. Fish sandwich :+1: - ask for extra horseradish sauce. And they routinely have a Muscadet! And just looked at recent yelp photos- pretty accurate!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve eaten there is more than 10 yrs, but sad news to hear. I just drove by it yesterday… It’s been such a fixture that it’ll be very, very odd to have something new there. Hope they protect the architectural integrity of the bldg.

1 Like

How is it that a place like this doesn’t own their building???

1 Like

Sad. Ended up there a lot due to the big menu and all day breakfast. Hope they find a new location.

1 Like

Good riddance.

I shed no tears for the death of the current iteration of Twohey’s.

Every since the original owners (Jean and Jerry Twohey) sold the restaurant to Jim Christos, the restaurant has never been the same.

Sure, the place still has that trademark very lickilious dark fudge sundae, as well as their trademarked frosted sundaes, but everything else has morphed into something like a Franken-restaurant.

Lobster bake? Really? “Hand-crafted” burgers? [rolls eyes, twice] AYCE ribs? Puhlease. Twohey Tavern? LOL. Literally.

Make sure to off the lights when you leave.

While I tend to agree with your comments about the revamped menu (and have expressed the same), I did like the addition of the grilled vegetable sandwich that actually had a good assortment of vegetables, was messy and tasty, and wasn’t a “salad sandwich” (which is what a lot of places offer to appease the veggie folks). And there are other good holdovers from the original menu.

Anyway, ended up back at Twohey’s last week with some family and friends, for a last meal (and a last bittersweet hot fudge sundae sniff): overheard one of the servers talking to another table about the impending closure and she said that the owners had found another location and were in the process of signing a lease.

I think she might have said it was in Pasadena, but since she was also talking about Twohey’s Tavern (in a not-very-positive tone, which was also shared by the people at the table who’d apparently had a very bad experience there) during the conversation, I quite probably misheard.

I would have asked our server, but we ended up with the efficient-but surly lady who I like but is not given to chitchat. I’ll miss her, too.

1 Like

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/original-twoheys-restaurant-announces-it-will-move-to-new-location-in-south-pasadena/#.Wmq1ClOIaf1

2 Likes

moving to 424 fair oaks across from the war memorial. that place has changed names fairly often.

1 Like

It was Carmine’s when we moved here (they’ve another location in Arcadia on Live Oak); my partner was excited when he learned it was where Jack Nance had been, prior to the fight outside the Winchell’s

It was sold and the new owners remodeled and then changed the menu - and then it was either sold or rebranded as something else, which was rarely open, best I can recall.

@Local, thank you for finding and sharing the article!

1 Like

it was also Lasorda’s Ribs & Pasta, or vice versa before Carmines (back in the 80s’ and, yes, owned by Tommy) and something else before that - a kinda dark n’ sleazy dinner and drinks place. My brother parked cars there in the late '70s, but eventually torpedoed the future of his valet career when he crunched the bumper of a new 911. Good luck to Twoheys–the parking situation sure won’t help them, it has always been a trial there.

1 Like

My partner’s response when I told him, “I see they didn’t opt for a parking upgrade.”

1 Like