Uncle Yu's at the Vineyard - Livermore

It was a total fluke that we ended up at this place. PG&E shut the power off for some planned work they neglected to alert us about. It was Fathers Day, which meant that all our usual restaurants were fully booked, so I searched OpenTable for places with outdoor seating and found this place had a table at 4:00. So off we went on a suburban adventure.

When we got there I was very surprised to see the huge wine list, and even more surprised at how sophisticated it was.

Dim sum sampler was excellent, as were the lobster siu mai.

Highlight of the meal for me were spicy fried wild shrimp. The Hokkaido scallops were good too.

Tea-smoked duck all done up classy like little burritos, very nice with a good red Burgundy.

Had a glass of excellent old Riesling Spätlese for dessert.

Really pleasant three-hour lunch with lots of exceptional wines by the glass. Looking forward to going back with some wine-loving friends to dig into the bottle list.

Separate ownership from the other Uncle Yu’s in the area since 2014.

https://www.uncleyusvineyard.com

https://www.uncleyusvineyard.com/wine-listbkp

4 Likes

I am surprised you had such a positive experience. The last 2 times we have eaten there was so bad I wrote them off. The wine list was the only positive.

From your pictures, the quality of the food look much better than what we received.

I was surprised too. I didn’t expect such careful sourcing or precise cooking at an upscale suburban place.

@JonDough how long ago were you last there?

Maybe 6 months ago. If we are in the area and going to spend that much money we usually go to Range Life down the street.

Went back yesterday for a celebratory meal.

Very highly recommended:

• dim sum tray - use some of the chile oil on the pumpkin one
  • lobster shumai, which one of my dining companions pointed out is drizzled with highly reduced chicken consomme for more complexity
  • Peking prawns, same dish we had last time except all prawns

Prawns stir-fried with garlic and black pepper were fine but would not order again.

To go with the red wines I ordered Szechuan beef and Mongolian lamb, both very good stir-fries but not as exciting as the earlier dishes or the tea-smoked duck. Further research is required.

The owner comped us the almond cream pear tart with Roquefort and candied walnuts. The tart was great with the cheese and it all went nicely with the Spätlese.

Crispy eggplant was very good. This was half the order. Despite the syrupy-looking sauce it was only a little sweet.

Peking duck was OK but I prefer the tea-smoked. Spicy dry-fried Snake River Farms wagyu bavette was good, sort of a Sichuan-Spanish fusion. Made the dry-fried green beans kind of redundant. Sweet and sour pork was appreciated by my dining companions, too sweet for me.

Hazelnut cake was very good.