Vespertine: A (non-)Pictorial (mini-)Essay

Just got back from Vespertine.

Wow. Where to start?

First, I’m not going to spoil the experience for those of you who have yet to go. And if you are in that group who are holding reservations, you may even want to stop reading this thread now.
It is a marvelous experience. Vespertine challenged my senses, and impressed me with execution. The food, the architecture, the room, the materials, the service - It’s meant to be an all-encompassing endeavor. Yes, I was dubious and snarky about the concept when I first read about it. But after actual doing it, I am recommending it now.

The meal is contemplative. If you’re looking to reconnect with a long-lost friend or have a boisterous, rollicking night out, know that Vespertine is not the venue for that.

I reserved the non-alcoholic beverage supplement and the ‘Addilantis’ after-dinner supplement. My dining partner, on the other hand, did the wine pairings. In retrospect, I think the better bet is to go with the non-alcoholic pairing. The after-dinner portion was lovely.

A ‘no photos’ policy was in effect, so I respected that. But I DID take notes, and maybe a more detailed write-up will even happen one day after Vespertine bids us adieu. But for now, Vespertine is here, and it should be enjoyed.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Vespertine
3599 Hayden Ave.
Culver City, CA 90232
vespertine.la

6 Likes

I can’t afford this place, and I’m not a big wine drinker, but why do you think it better to go w/ the non-alcoholic pairing?

That’s a fancy way of saying you drank the kool-aid too

:wink:

3 Likes

The non-alcoholic juices, infusions, and waters were all immensely interesting - much more so, I felt, than the wine pairings. My dining partner (who ordered the wine pairing, but also tried my non-alcoholic flight, said the same). It proves that alcohol does not need to always be in the equation for pairing beverages with food.

1 Like

Do they allow BYOM (bring your own mantra )?

2 Likes

Vespertine will likely find its audience, particularly among the anhedonic jetsetters [!!!] who traipse from Modena to Melbourne, checking off their World’s 50 Best restaurant list, in search of a new high — or in this case a purposeful, mournful new low.
For decades now chefs have sought to exalt food to the pantheon of art. If nothing else, Kahn has created a dirge you can eat.

ABOUT
VESPERTINE
A reverie.
Vespertine is a place of cognitive dissonance that defies categorization, exploring a dimension of cuisine that is neither rooted in tradition nor culture — it is from a time that is yet to be, and a place that does not exist. It is a spirit between worlds. A place of shadows and whispers.
FUTURE.

Based on the tock website, I believe corkage for one bottle is allowed / free (hopefully I didn’t get this wrong), but given you have absolutely no idea what the food will be, pretty hard to choose. Even if you knew what the food was, not sure

Sounds like Vespertine might not be the best for an anniversary dinner. Is there time to talk about the food or is it more like watching a movie with your SO?

Does the restaurant take up that whole building?

As far as I can tell, yes.

The meal wasn’t joyless. On the contrary, I found it stimulating. I read the Hollywood Reporter article AFTER my dining experience there, and found that several of its claims were just not the case during my dinner there. I’m glad I kept an open mind and actually went.

It’s kinda like going to a food TED talk. There were lots of couples on dates in the room. And yes, there is absolutely time to converse and think about what you’re eating. The mood was far more of surprise and delight in our dining room than moribund silence.

I’d have a more open mind if I hadn’t eaten at Destroyer.

Ditto : Red Medicine

1 Like

This is not an anniversary type of place, certainly if in celebrating an anniversary one wants to enjoy the company of the other person with the food being a complementary, and perhaps an amplificatory, component.

1 Like

the anhedonic tend to neither jet nor hang with sets.
fuck this guy.

The building was built for the restaurant.

That was my first thought about the chef!

I was kind of hoping that this place sucked on all accounts, but sounds like it may actually be good. I still can’t see this place surviving, even if the food is stellar. The economics just don’t make sense.

fair enough. everyone’s different.
but…i read the article.

He must have rich backers who aren’t very cost-sensitive. Or who think that Bill Chait can do no wrong.