Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

One time I listened to an album by Björk…

2 Likes

1 Like

Do the offer empty plates and puffs of air for 100 pp?

5 Likes

$35 for a chicken sando and whiskey cocktail kit. Mon and Tues (Oct 26-27) with pick up times between 12-3pm.

https://checkout.square.site/buy/RKLFDL6WBIEMPLHRUBLQ6LT5
https://checkout.square.site/buy/ZDDKL3FBFT4MU6RNGJZOQGYA

4 Likes

sold out

1 Like

That was fast. :scream:

Denstroyed.

2 Likes

Your version was pretty good, canto style Dentucky chicken wing

That Sean Brock menu looks pretty damn good.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHMDEJdJos4/

1 Like

vespertine x sean brock

after the vespertine japanese disaster i was hesitant to try another menu, but couldn’t resist the sean brock collab. i’m glad i tried it, overall this was a fantastic meal. get it while you can.

i’m curious which of these courses are recipes from brock’s cookbook “south”. anybody know?

highlights
pimento cheese
smoked early girl tomato jam
she-crap soup
benne seed-buttermilk rolls
baby sweet potatoes, embered pecan butter, vidalia sweet onions
braised collard greens, allan benton’s bacon, pepper mash
slow-smoked heritage pork, sorghum glaze, peach vinegar
chess pie
wild blackberry biscuit cobbler

“dily beans”, pickled okra, bread and butter pickles, sea island benne seed wafers, smoked early girl tomato jam, pimento cheese

she-crap soup, based on the original recipe of william deas

benne seed-buttermilk rolls

shaved zucchini, benne seeds, buttermilk, green peanut oil

shrimp and grits

baby sweet potatoes, embered pecan butter, vidalia sweet onions

braised collard greens, allan benton’s bacon, pepper mash

hoppin’ john, carolina gold rice

slow-smoked heritage pork, sorghum glaze, peach vinegar

chess pie

wild blackberry biscuit cobbler

18 Likes

Wow! That pimento looks delicious!!

Yeah Southern Meal I was great, glad II is great as well

3 Likes

I picked up my order last Friday and I’m still trying to finish it.

Enjoyed the Magnolia blossom infused banana pudding supp $30 - it came in a disposable plastic trifle dessert dish — took me 4 days to finish w 4-5 generous servings. First timer re: magnolia blossoms, I love edible flowers! :hibiscus: :two_hearts: (ps: the flowers were infused into the pudding mixture and strained out so there are no visible pieces of flower).

The shaved Edwards ham platter supp at $28 was disappointing b/c it was only 6 thin slices and they dried out quickly in my fridge.

A non FTC friend told me the cornbread with Benton’s ham supp was excellent. I skipped ordering because of my carb limits.

The regular items mentioned by @PorkyBelly were great!

This meal broke my bank so aside from my T-giving dinner and cassoulet from LQ Foodings, sadly I’m skipping anymore major takeout until 2021.

12 Likes

Cool to see all the lowcountry stuff, especially the benne seeds. Thanks for posting!

And to be that guy, the hoppin john looks a little suspect. How was it? Not enough peas and looks like the rice was cooked separately from the peas.

2 Likes

I’m a noob when it comes to southern food so this was my first time having hoppin john. it was my least favorite dish of the meal and to me it was a bit too al dente and even though it came with a side of gravy, I would have liked some more pork fat or bits of bacon in the rice.

maybe @NYCtoLA, @foodshutterbug, or @TheCookie can weigh in.

3 Likes

I’m more a blackeyed pea & cornbread kinda gal. Rice & beans (peas) together can be too much starch on starch for me unless the the rice is long grain & al dente and the beans are smooth & creamy like refried (why I love Popeyes red beans & rice :relaxed:). With that said, I agree with @ShadrackToussaint. I think of Hoppin’ John kinda like blackeyed pea jambalaya. And where were the peas?

3 Likes

Don’t know a lot about hoppin’ john, but my assumption is it hews closer to Sean Brock’s version vs something that might be considered “authentic”. Recipe from his cookbook here: Lowcountry Hoppin' John | The Splendid Table has the rice and beans/peas cooked separately as you guessed from the picture. It does look light on the beans though even to my inexperienced eyes!

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, and of course Sean Brock is reinterpreting, not that there’s anything wrong with that. From his recipe, he’s consciously or not doing Hoppin John as a Haitian diri ak sos pwa aka rice with the beans then pureed as a sauce, which is cool. Also finishing rice on a sheet pan in the oven so the grains are distinct is a very, very old school Charleston technique.

BJ Dennis, a Charleston chef of Gullah/Geechee descent, is doing interesting stuff with this food right now: South Carolina Hoppin' John with Chef BJ Dennis . That’s a more traditional hoppin john.

And I agree with @TheCookie. Where are the beans?

3 Likes

Thanks for adding knowledge and links to the convo @boourns & @ShadrackToussaint.

The Diri Ak Sos Pwa looks like something I wanna’ make.

I almost pointed out and glad you did @ShadrackToussaint that Hoppin’ John is a S. Carolina dish. There’s southern then there’s regional southern. I was also thinking about the rice and how it’s dried on a sheet pan. Carolina Gold is long grain but starchy and Chef Brock undercooking it may have been an attempt to counter the stickiness. :thinking:

Good stuff! :rice:

2 Likes

I reheated my meal a few hours after pickup so the textures were just right for moi, but yup I can see why you thought it was too al dente.

Sean Brock x Vespertine version seemed decidedly lighter, which is why I preferred it - fluffy rice and not mushy beans and no lard. However, I think purists would be up in arms.

Finally had the Blackberry Cobbler on Day 6 - very conveniently packaged in a heat safe reusable stainless steel gratin pan so I only had to pop it into the toaster oven. As for taste, I would’ve liked a little more tartness and sweetness. I added vanilla ice cream from my freezer for contrast.

As for the Chess Pie and Magnolia Blossom Banana Pudding, I loved them as is. I’m definitely a fan of Kahn’s use of dairy in desserts from the “Redwood Ice with Jasmine Chiboust Cream” in a terrarium during Red Medicine days and this year’s Cuban Tres Leches cake supp and this month’s Banana Magnolia Blossom Pudding supp with it’s generously portioned stabilized clouds of whipped cream (didn’t get weepy even on Day 4). I think the Chess Pie had a sour cream style topping - very delish and still tasted fresh on Day 3 when I consumed in one sitting.

PS: I finally finished the pickles nearly 3 weeks later, but I still have a small container of tomato jam.

The 2 stainless steel gratin pans for the sweet potatoes and cobbler came in handy when I was heating Thanksgiving sides.

4 Likes