Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

What supplements, including the NA pairing, added $855pp to your bill?

Also is the deposit not refunded?

The supplements and prices are listed in the second photo above, with the exception of a dessert comprising “auction uni” and old PX that we don’t know the price of. The PX, by the way, is incredibly good. The small pour onto the dessert adds a huge amount of intensity and complexity. I bought a slightly younger vintage (1940s) once and it was my favorite dessert wine ever.

The non-alcoholic pairing is the “vitality” ($125). I think it is a little pricey despite the quality. I found the drinks tasty and interesting but too sweet for my tastes. But I find most sweet stuff too sweet for my tastes (sodas, candies, cookies, milkshakes, <80% chocolate, etc.).

Sorry I don’t know if the deposit is refunded.

2 Likes

Thanks, I glossed over that. Really helpful reply.

There’s availability for May 4th Saturday, 4 people at 7pm, 7:30pm

Edit: It’s sold out. It was available for awhile.

Went last night to vespertine 2.0. With the re-opening came a new team in the back and front of the house with the idea that there would be familiar notes from 1.0 but also changes to bring more warmth and connection to the diners as well as a new outlook on their food.

I came in curious about the experience, it’s hard to put aside the art like nature of the building as opposed to a dining space when you enter (yes the music feels like i’m listening to the soundtrack of Intersteller) but you’re immediately warmly welcomed by the staff as you take a short tour of the building before you sit to eat. From that point you feel an immediate reception that feels a little unfamiliar in Los Angeles. There’s a warmth in service but also a deep understanding of how to apply coordinated service at the highest level. Whether it’s how your napkin is replaced when you get out of your seat, refreshments poured, dishes taken away, there seems to be a plan that’s orchestrated well. Too often at our finest establishments is food dropped almost haphazardly and quickly (too quietly) explained and the server dashes off to the next. While there’s a symphony of movement with how you’re served here, they take their time to explain the dishes and answer your questions as quite a few of the ingredients are unfamiliar.

On to the food - With all things Jordan Kahn first is the visual. Dishes are meant to raise your eyebrows at time but what the criticism in the first rendition was that it didn’t translate to food that one wanted to eat. But here, from the gorgeous spring flower dish to the multi layered dessert, the awe inspiring plate work led to well put together food. By the way, the multi layered black raspberry dessert at the end, might be the best dessert i’ve had at a fine dining restaurant this year.

To compliment the food was a very thoughtful non alcoholic pairing. It starts off with two to three sweeter/higher acid pairings to go with the seafood and then leans heavily into the savory. I think it’s pretty daring to go so savory and honestly, when you sip the drinks by themselves (like a red pepper rhubarb juice or chantrelle mushroom tea) it seems almost overbearing in their savoriness but then once you try it with the dish the flavor profiles all make sense.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. I think it’s really going to dial in in a few months like any new restaurant, but i definitely enjoyed my first visit here.

11 Likes

Maybe one of these days fine dining desserts will catch up.

1 Like

No court room drawings :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Desserts have always been a relative strength at Kahn’s restaurants.

2 Likes

@hppzz review forthcoming?

That’s my rich doppelgänger

2 Likes

Considering his pedigree it should.

2 Likes