Warrior vs. Langer's: threat or menace

I really like the energy and info y’all bring to this board, and I mean this respectfully, but there are certain places I think it’s not fair to review if you’re not eating beef and pork.

2 Likes

Warrior: your point is fair. But I would counter that a restaurant should be proud of everything on its menu, and it’s fair to judge a restaurant by its weakest dishes because those dishes indicate the minimum quality level that the restaurant deems acceptable. The weakest dishes reveal how much the owner and chef really care. Langers will always be mediocre Americana trash to me.

1 Like

ok thanks for the review

5 Likes

Eh, I don’t know if I agree w/ that. At a high-end place that charges $$$? Sure.

But at a moderately priced placed that’s known for being brilliant at one thing? For me, Langer’s is fantastic and totally worth it for the pastrami alone. It’s not like it advertises itself as being great at everything (or anything else).

5 Likes

It’s not bad. Always has great smokiness to it. That said, Bludso’s is all about the rib tips for me. Love them.

2 Likes

What on earth

11 Likes

Wow your elitism knows no bounds, also this coming from a person that judges food by how well it tastes after delivery is rich. Unfortunately some restaurants have to make a living appealing to the masses. You’re probably just better off ordering chipotle

5 Likes

There’s a big difference between not for you and mediocre. What restaurant, not just in LA county but the entire country, makes a better Jewish style pastrami sandwich?

By the way, I enjoy many of your posts.

5 Likes

Warrior: there seems to be a consensus that the food at Langer’s other than the pastrami sandwich is not good. It’s just a question about whether a restaurant should be judged based on its signature dish or all its dishes. Reasonable arguments can be made on both sides. Not sure why this thread blew up like this!

1 Like

Penoy: I find this discussion very useful as people share different perspectives.

Thanks for the clarification @RedDevil !

Warrior and I will emphasize more that the certain opinions are based on our personal preferences only.

2 Likes

Really? Not my experience at all. Corned Beef is just as good as the pastrami, maybe better! Many other very worthy dishes…whitefish…

7 Likes

Isn’t this a given? No one person is the arbiter of truth when it comes to food. Everything anyone has ever written here is a personal preference and should be taken as such.

3 Likes

The tuna melt is great. We always enjoy the matzo ball soup, crispy fries, pickles and other items on the menu outside of the world class rye bread, pastrami and corned beef. Like as good or better than any deli you can find.

Must try the whitefish next time. The only disappointing item I’ve had at Langers is the knish but it’s from a very myopic Queens deli view of what a knish from my childhood is supposed to be.

11 Likes

Langer’s knishes are awful-- everything about them is wrong. The chopped liver, on the other hand, is decent.

5 Likes

@J_L had it last time we went, I beleive.

Wholeheartedly agree! Always thought I was the only one.

3 Likes

The BBQ Chicken is my favorite thing on Bludso’s menu when it’s not overly salty, which I think they’ve toned down.

3 Likes

Why would you judge a restaurant based on its worst dish? No one is forcing you to order the bad stuff. If it was me, I would simply not order the bad things.

7 Likes

You blew it up yourself with the “mediocre Americana trash” comment. :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

I have not heard that consensus. For example, the corned beef and the blintzes are both good.

5 Likes