Wednesday Santa Monica Farmer's Market

Anybody have any recommendations for specific vendors at the Wednesday Santa Monica Farmer’s Market? Both meat and produce. I will never be a regular there, so I’m not necessarily looking for best price, but I am looking for best quality. Basically, who are the Harry’s Berries type vendors that have clearly superior produce/meat that I might not pick up on visually when strolling through? Also, are there any unique, in season items that I should keep my eye open for? Any other tips specific to this market would also be appreciated.

I should have posted this earlier, but I’m going tomorrow and it just occurred to me to ask now.

1 Like

Tomatoes at coastal organic farms are my favorites (in season only)
Tomatoes (out of season) Beylik farms
Specialty fruit / berries Murray Family farms
Potatoes/melons ect Weiser
Specialty greens Coleman Family farms
Flora Bella (various but always worth checking out)
Specialty citrus Mud creek ranch

2 Likes

Tenerreli Farms especially during stone fruit season.

2 Likes

Look for the avocado lady who also sells citrus. She specializes in avocados and usually has several different varieties available.

I think you’re talking about JJ’s Lone Daughter’s.
They do have excellent avocados. In season, they have exceptional persimmons.
I’d also recommend Hassan for avocados. Less variety, but they are really tasty and they are substantially cheaper. Hassan also has wonderful squash in season, too.

1 Like

Yes that’s the one! Laura who usually works the stall is a total sweetheart.

Ooh thanks for the tip!

Old post I know but if you see Avocado’s at See Canyon Apple Farms they are usually excellent.

1 Like

See Canyon is good at all they do! Thanks for the reminder about their avocados.
They have a sweet apple cultivar called Orin that is amazing. I tend to prefer higher acid fruit, but that apple is an exception.

Does See Canyon still come to the SM Farmer’s Market? I haven’t seen them in few years and always wondered what happened.

They do. But they are seasonal usually fall if I remember correctly. Maybe twice a year. Usually accross from Murray farms when at the market. Wish I could confirm more exactly. I remember once they told me that they try and let the avocados hang longer on the tree. Who knows if they were pulling my leg but they were fantastic either way

1 Like

They start in the Spring with their dry farmed Blenheim apricots and go til the end of their apple season (Thanksgiving-ish, but sometimes earlier since everything is hotter/shorter growing season these days). I believe they only come to the markets bi-weekly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! At one point, I even tried emailing them but got no reply. Do you know if they come both days or just Wednesday?