Weekend Run-Down (October 2015) - what did you have?

I have been on a Japanese tear
Thursday - Morinoya, always solid
Friday - Raku, mostly excellent - especially loved Ken “squared” Salad, fried kisu, Tofu, soboro don, Foie, pork (cheeks, I think)
Sat - Wadatsumi, lovely Wagyu Hitsumabushi

I have small plates coming out of my small plates.

6 Likes

Wadatsumi is a real bargain too.

Picking up beef ribs this afternoon from Hardy’s.

Did all 12 miles of CicLAvia today with a break at Guisados in the middle

19 Likes

Okay, since you and J.L. both keep talking up Morinoya, I’m thinking I gotta try it again. Any ideas on when I should go to maximize the chances of Chef Mori being in?

@ weiner—looks like your waiting for the tacos to jump in your mouth while riding…no hands needed.

2 Likes

He’s there most nights. Call first.

1 Like

Saturday Breakfast Dudley Market Venice
Roasted Kale and Eggs
Soft Shell Crab Omelet
Very nice…

1 Like

Tried White Rabbit Cafe in Winnetka last night. No food pictures, but there really isn’t anything to write home about. Had the sisig burrito. Poorly mixed; literally half of my mouth was egg/cheese/garlic fried rice and the other half was sisig.

Egg was cooked well, cheese was barely detectable, garlic fried rice had way too many dried crunchy pieces like it had been sitting out in a steam table way too long. Garlic fried rice was also very lacking in any garlic-fried flavor.

Sisig suffered the same fate as the rice–way too dry and crunchy, almost like jerky at times.

All of this for $7.50. Way overpriced for what you get.

Was dismayed at how highly-rated this place is on yelp…until I snapped a picture of this sign at the order counter.

Yup, bought and paid for…

1 Like

Where’s the fucking soft shell crab Benedict ???

Not Soft Shell Crab Benedict…it’s a Soft Shell Crab Omelet at Dudley Market in Venice $18. Very Good. http://dudleymarket.com/

My fucking bad.

Friday
Gorgonzola, walnut, and caramelized onion pizza - Claro’s (wonderful & only $4.99 for an entire pizza)
Mint IT’S-IT (like the vanilla ones the best)

Saturday
Lunch
Iced Cappuccino - G&B Coffee
Green falafel sandwich - Madcapra (fennel and cauliflower were great, but a little too salty overall)

Dinner
Everything bagel with lox - Wexler’s Deli (divine, but a little too salty)
Chocolate concha - La Mascota (perfection)

Sunday
Lunch
California bowl with noodles & salad - Yellow Fever (hate the name of the restaurant, but very tasty veggie bowl)
Iced jasmine tea - 85C

Dinner
Poke - Sushi stall at Mitsuwa’s food court in Torrance (nicely balanced)
Baked Okinawan sweet potato
Matcha and red bean Swiss roll - 85C (pretty good)

1 Like

My fucked up weekend:

Friday lunch: Howling Rays. Very fucking dope. Must have been some
Paprika in there or some shit. Had two order two of those dark meat plates. Two pieces of fried chicksn would never be enough.

1 Like

The fucking GCM burger on Saturday. Biz and pleasure coffee. And the smoked sturgeon and cream cheese on poppyseed bagel.

Dinner:

A fig salad.
Black truffle pizza from Wallys BH. Pretty well dressed fucking crowd. And nice scene. And a carnival barker court jester doling out the fucking joke.
Food left me nonplussed. Granted I didn’t try the majority of the menu.

Sunday:

Nates knockwurst and frankfurter combo
With a fuckload of
New pickles. Potato salad. And baked beans. And of course a fucking diet coke to wash that crap down.

1 Like

Nates new pickles and dogs are great.

Tell me more about the court jester

1 Like

Not a Mexican Coca-Cola?

You didn’t like the Wally’s pizza?

Nice snack at TPC

3 Likes

Nah. It fucking sucked to my taste.

But that’s just my worthless two an a half cents.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

Luv2eat their crab curry is phuket hot

12 Likes