WFD #1 - The First FTC Edition

Finally remembered to take a lame pic of my dinner at home last night.

Made one of the last helpful things I learned from the Food Network (before it devolved into a cesspool of reality-ratings TV shows that have nothing to do about what made it a hit early on (cooking food).

Bombay Sloppy Joe’s (by Aarti Sequeira). Love this dish at home, a mix of traditional Sloppy Joe’s with an Indian twist. :smile:

Organic Ground Chicken Breast, Ginger, Garlic, Garam Masala, Paprika and Tomato Sauce (and other spices). I modified the recipe a bit to include some veggies (so a “1 pot meal”) - this time with Organic Dinosaur Kale - and a little less sauce than the original recipe.

1 Like

Everyone’s meals sound so good! That Trini-Chinese chicken in particular looks like a must-try.

Tonight’s dinner was panzanella (not pictured) along with some flatbread and homemade hummus topped with not-so-homemade gyro meat leftovers, chopped and pan-fried into crispy bits.

2 Likes

catholiver: Your plating & soup look so much nicer than mine! I made cream of fresh chanterelle soup tonight but didn’t spend any time on presentation, just wanted to scarf it up!

2 Likes

Aren’t you sweet? I was talking to our daughter today who lives in Seattle. A friend had foraged chanterelles and I shared this recipe. So good, aren’t they?

1 Like

I just can’t believe this – I put in two good days getting food ready for our dinner party (for six of us) Saturday night. Six-pound chicken, dry-brined, spatchcocked, roasted on a bed of mixed sourdough and cornbread dressing; red and gold little potatoes cooked with green beans and onion; summer squash casserole; coleslaw; cream biscuits plus some great homebaked dark bread a guest brought; devilled eggs and pimento-cheese-stuffed celery for appetizers with drinks, and lemon chess pie for dessert … and NOBODY TOOK ANY DAMN PICTURES! Not me, not any of the guests (all with impeccable CH-level “credentials”), not even the perennially snap-happy Mrs. O! I feel somehow that we failed the community … The redeeming thing was that we all had a really good time, had only just enough too much good wine, and left me enough food for lunches for a week.

Plus a few good tips: 1. If you need to make a dozen or so devilled eggs and dinner is just an hour or two away, Smart & Final’s pre-cooked HB eggs (better than Trader Joe’s, sorry T.J) are if not too far away quite good for the job. 2. Pouches of cornbread mix (I used some Martha White I’d brought back from Nashville) make better bread for stuffing than most made-from-scratch, and it’s ready in about half an hour. 3. Trying to give folks some good Southern food (which was what I was asked to do here) is a hell of a lot easier between June and August than it is in October, especially if you’re counting on any farmer’s markets! I had to get 'way too much from Whole Foods … and just give up on some items.

1 Like

Cooked myself a birthday dinner this weekend - Duck breast with a mustard calvados sauce, baby hasselbeck potatoes, green beans, and chocolate pear pudding for dessert. I overcooked the duck (potatoes took too long to cook!) but it was all delicious, nonetheless. Last night my mother made me birthday dinner with Soupe de Poisson and a Gateau Basque, at my request.

2 Likes

Pretty proud of last night’s dinner! Braised beef cheeks with white wine, beef broth, rosemary, anchovies, garlic, dijon, rough mirepoix . . . the best thrown-together “recipe” I’ve made in ages. Served over egg noodles with Long Meadow Ranch petite syrah.

3 Likes

@saltpig, that looks delicious! :smile:

Thanks for sharing.

I made vegetarian bibimbap with three banchan (eggplant, cucumbers, and collard greens) and a carrot-miso soup. They were recipes from Maangchi and Omma’s Kitchen, with the soup being from Smitten Kitchen.

2 Likes

Show us some pix next time. Sounds awesome. :smile:

Here’s the bibimbap and the banchan, @Chowseeker1999 . Sorry for the poor quality of the photo - no natural light for a 10pm dinner. Oh the tofu is a lurid green because I use a lot of green onions in the marinade, which makes for a simultaneously ugly and tasty protein.