What is the lure of Aldi Markets?

I have visited Aldi Markets on occasion in a number of locales and I still don’t get it. What is the lure for you? What am I missing? It can’t just be the prices…

1 Like

It has to be the prices. Everything else sucks.

Prices. Private labeled national brands. But, nothing cheaper or higher quality than your local Walmart grocery store.

Yep. I’ve been to two or three. And I’ve heard people insist that “their” Aldi is really great, but what I saw was a couple notches above the dollar store.

I never understood it - in Germany (where the chain originated) Aldi is considered as low level quality supermarket which mainly survives by relatively low prices (but other chains are now on the same pricing level) and low wages.

So it was (or is???) in the TJs family?

Not really.

https://www.thekitchn.com/aldi-trader-joes-parent-company-rumor-260999

The people that own Aldi are related to the people that own TJ’S SO kinda but not really.

https://www.thekitchn.com/aldi-trader-joes-parent-company-rumor-260999?amp=1

1 Like

The prices. They really are incredible sometimes. I just went a few weeks ago and this was the going rate on large avocados…

Also the Aisle of Shame. I admit, that is a pretty big draw for me as a gardner and I follow some Aldi fan instas. But you really have to know when to go in.

I have entry level staff that are able to afford their solo Apartments and Keto lifestyle because of Aldi. Personally I like Grocery Outlet the better, but for the Aldi fans I know, Aldi tends to have a consistent stock of things they are looking for. GO stock is a bit more sporadic.

2 Likes

Those avocados look terrible.

1 Like

This is what a Haas should look like.

That’s a ripe one. Aldi ones are an investment… lol!!

4 Likes

There are two different Aldi companies is Germany - Aldi Nord (North) and Aldi Sued (South) (long time ago they were one company but brothers had different business ideas (in particular sales of cigarettes)and decided to split up the company and territories in Germany (and worldwide). Trader Joe os owned by Aldi North whereas all other Aldi shops in the US are owned by Aldi South - so TJ isn’t part of the US Aldi family but part of one of the Aldi companies.

2 Likes

Trader Joe’s began as a convenience store in California in 1958. A decade later, more locations opened across the state. In 1979 Aldi Nord acquired all Trader Joe’s in the United States, but continued to let them “operate independently.” On the other hand, Aldi Süd is the parent company of Trader Joe’s in Europe and Aldi locations in the United States.