What is your happiest bite?

Just out of curiosity, what is your happiest bite or sip in the past or recently or ideally in the future or even in your imagination?

And why?

Disregard everything like class, price, culture…, no judgmental, just for pure happy memories. It doesn’t have to be something super expensive or limited, just what make you truly happy at that moment.

Honestly, I’m looking for fun story times if anyone have that sort of things on their menu :face_with_hand_over_mouth::two_hearts:

2 Likes

McD Nugs

5 Likes

@moonboy403 more story materials, please :joy:

1 Like

They just taste good to me! Easily accessible and relatively cheap…can’t really ask for more!

4 Likes

What dipping sauce?

3 Likes

mix of sweet-n-sour and hot mustard.

3 Likes

i’m a sweet and sour kinda guy. i even dip my fries in em.

4 Likes

In response to the original question, several contenders come to mind:

Kraft Mac n Cheese - Much like White Castle or Jack in the Box tacos, it is objectively not very good, but nonetheless irreplaceable in one’s memory. In my case, of sleeping over at my Great Aunt Ruth’s place, sitting on her couch and watching James Bond movies while eating it off of the foldable tv tables

A Ceasar salad from The Rabbit Hill Inn in Vermont, where I learned far too late (early 20’s) that vegetables would not, in fact, cause me to gag uncontrollably.

My very first time trying uni at Taka in San Diego (gaslamp district). It was pristine. I did the happy chair dance. Taka is probably not the place the raw fish aficionados here might choose, but I was at a conference and Taka was walkable. Sure, you pay the ‘tourist’ tax, but I’ve been back several times over the years, and the fish is always divine.

9 Likes

Probably my first tortilla chips and guacamole after a year in Italy with neither.

What would be my happiest bite these days would be a perfectly ripe cantaloupe or muskmelon. Which was no problem in Italy in season.

6 Likes

As of late…

The Turkey Cheese Burger from my neighborhood burger joint Hot Box… I always scarf it down too fast to take a picture…

Chicken Pot Pie from Pot Pie Co… It was perfection in terms of filling and crust. Got it through Locale. Will order again…

This Quesabirria from Primos Tacos L.A. a ghost kitchen joint near our house… I was astounded at how good this was. I recently had an excellent one from El Puesto in Bakersfield, but this one hit all the notes and was absolutely stuffed with Birria. Going to get a tub of their consume to make Birramen soon…

6 Likes

Perhaps not “happiest” (but certainly very recent) were the asada fries at Ruben’s taco truck yesterday night. :slight_smile:

There have been so many happiest. First bite of Ricky’s fish tacos. Second try at Father’s office hamburger. Isaan sausage at Northern Thai Food Club. Crab curry at Luv2Eat. Gjusta Italian sandwich. Langer’s pastrami. First bite of pork and crab XLB. Rabbit fettuccine at some random place in Italy (mentioned in Rick Steve’s guide from awhile back).

I’m sure there are many more… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In Amsterdam ate some magic mushrooms. Bought a slice of pizza from a street vendor. The broccoli florets shone like emeralds. The tomatoes were rubies. I shared it with the birds and was one with nature.

3 Likes

Is this a thing now? I saw it on the menu at one place in Oakland, and I think I saw it down here somewhere, too, recently…

2 Likes

Yes! It’s a totally not an uncommon thing in Mexico. You can indeed find those who add fideo to Birria or Barbacoa consume. Still, I rarely order when out because too many places make it with Cup a Soups…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkkBgy8qeVk/

I make it with Sun Noodles… I just have yet to unlock real Birria magic with the recipes I’ve tried… So I’ll leave it for the experts for now…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN_ooPNjWE0/

4 Likes

Every single bite of Peking duck I eat. The first time I ate Peking duck was when I was either 4 or 5 in Vancouver and I still remember how good it tasted. Hasn’t changed at all through the years.

6 Likes

My happiest bite was watching someone I like inhaled a whole warm croissant in one super bite. I didn’t know it was possible!

Technically it wasn’t my bite, but the joy of witnessing it was much tastier than anything I’ve had. What a super human, and a super duper happy croissant.

My new hobby could be watching people eating croissants and decide how much I like them base on their performance, hahaha.

Many good happy bites in the past, but somehow that moment stood out the most. It was a very happy day!

3 Likes

-Fresh piping hot donuts….Sidecar, Oliboli, M&M blueberry donuts.

-A good basic cheeseburger….In N Out, Burgers Never Say Die/smash burgers, Yuca’s. I like both “McD’s” style and LTO/thousand island.

3 Likes

slightly tangential, but i get similar vibes watching roy choi’s instagram restaurant reviews. he eats with such happy gusto!

1 Like

Sadly not available anymore, but the short rib two ways at Pueblo in SoCo was phenomenal. Braised short rib topped with rare shaved short rib on crostini. I still think about it. F—ing COVID. Some great places lost.

5 Likes

Really good quality yellowtail (hamachi) sashimi.

3 Likes