What Makes A Great Salsa? Salsas and Mexican Cooking

Just made a half recipe about 1 quart. Love this recipe with carne asada

4 Likes

When shopping for salsa in a grocery store, I look for ones that have no tomatoes. Almost all American brands seem to be mostly tomato.

I like pico de gallo, but I’d make that from fresh vegetables.

Hi @aaqjr

About how many cups of salsa does your recipe yield? I’m thinking of making a paired down just for 2 people version. Thanks.

1 Like

The half recipe yields 1 Qt! It’s def a family carne asada size recipe lol.maybe a half recipe and freeze half? You could try quartering it I’ve never reduced it that far but It should work i added a bit of charred onion as well last time. Really do love this salsa with mest.

1 Like

Oh cool if it freezes… although I don’t have freezer space either lol. Maybe I’ll make half. Did you char the onions on an open flame like a stove burner or on a grill?

1 Like

I have a stove top plancha that i use from surfas years ago but lo que sea, use whatever works best for you!

1 Like

Okay cool. I have a couple things I could use. Do you oil the plancha? Thanks @aaqjr!

No, dry

1 Like

Okay, I did not make the same salsa @aaqjr, but not sure why, lol. With the exception of having anchos not pasillas & not using romas, I followed steps to-a-tee… I think.

Chile Miriam

Chile TheCookie

Think I got a little too happy with the chile toasting. It’s much darker and possibly smokier and very spicy. Side note: soaked the thicker, chewy skinned anchos after toasting. Also strained the finished product before jarring as it was seedier looking.

Tomatillos & Tomatoes

The romas I bought were mealy and flavorless (welcome to fall) so I doubled up on these “cocktail tomatoes” (camparis) and thankfully found a clamshell of plump cherry tomatoes in the fridge (not pictured), but it still isn’t as tomatoey as Miriam’s looks. :thinking:

It’s a very good salsa, interesting to make and will go with many things. But the moral of the salsa story is… salsa is not “just salsa” and one shouldn’t think they can nail somebody’s time-honored recipe easily. TBC…

Happy Salsa Making! :hot_pepper:

5 Likes

Glad you made it! Looks good :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the Pasilla is key on this one personally i haven’t worked with it as much as other chilies but it adds something that goes great with carne asada; Ancho is not a bad substitute though! It is a pretty hot salsa! You could use chile japonés instead of árbol por just de seed them. I tend to toast the chiles on the lighter side mostly because I like a lighter red color!

2 Likes

Yah, that’s what I was going for, lol. I like dark, smokey salsas too but wanted to do Miriam’s this time! :smiling_face: I figured it was going to be spicy with a cup of arbols. I like spice and didn’t mind that part so much, but after sampling it a lot my stomach was like Hey! Knock it off!

2 Likes

My favorite is Tex Mex style with fresh tomato, white onion, cilantro, lime, and jalapeño / serrano — coarsely puréed, not chunky like pico de gallo.

Yep that’s a good one.

@aaqjr, I’ve been making use of Chile Miriam. I’m calling it Dark Chile Miriam. :wink:

Potato, Chori-Man Chicken Chorizo, Scallion Tacos

Stuffed, Rolled & Fried.

Sour Cream, Chile Miriam & Salad w/Avocado, Corn, Tomato, Scallions, Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds, Creamy Chile Cilantro Lime Dressing

Guacamole w/Chile Miriam, Soy Sauce Corn Chips

Next day breakfast…

Chicken Chorizo & Eggs, Potato, Avocado, Scallion

Used leftover chorizo, potato, scallion taco filling & topped w/the spicy creamy salad dressing and Chile Miriam, cilantro & scallions.

Spicy Chicken Salad

Added a little spice to our weekly chicken salad. Reserved chile paste from making the salsa. Poached jidori chicken breasts in chicken broth w/chicken soup crystals, chile paste, garlic, onion powder. Chopped chicken, scallions, cilantro and folded everything in a mixture of vegenaise, chile paste, lime, Rancho Gordo chile lime dipping powder, smoked paprika, S&P.

I’ve got a lot more Chile Miriam as a little goes a long way! :hot_pepper: TBC…

5 Likes

YuMMM! That’s some good eating :fire:

1 Like

Chicken Mole, Midnight Black Beans & Corncakes

Baked BISO chix thighs on high to render fat & crisp skin, then smothered in mole and baked on lower temp (about 45 mins total). Used Chile Secos Mole Negro w/a dollop of Coloradito and thinned with black bean broth, pan drippings & frozen tomatillo/tomato/chile water from making Chile Miriam. I’ll do more on the black beans on the bean thread.

The corncakes are El Torito Corncake Mix. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I was digging thru the cupboard for the polenta and came across a package of corncake mix and a can of creamed corn… “I’m doing this”. Doctored it w/cheddar & chili powder blend.

What’s in the Fridge Salad - Romaine, Corn, Avocado, Egg, Chickpeas, Pepitas, Tomato Vinaigrette

The vinaigrette was made with the oily, tomatoey juice from roasting tomatoes.

Avert your eyes, purists…I made tacos!

Chicken Mole Tacos

Ground Chix, Mole Negro & Coloradito, Avocado Salsa Verde, Meredith Dairy Marinated Goat Cheese, Roasted Tomatoes (olive oil, fish sauce, sugar), Fresh Sungolds, Scallions, Cilantro, La Tortilla Factory Corn/Flour Tortillas. I put a little bit of a lot in the tacos. They were delicious. :hearts:

Happy Eating!

4 Likes

Both look great!!!

In Merida we HAVE to have a Turkey meatball in our Recado Negro. Chicken and Turkey Meatballs also make a great addition to Moles, especially tacos with moles because they hold on to so much sauce without completely integrating it…

Here is a dish of Recado Negro I had in Merida this year…

4 Likes

Thanks @Dommy!

I love the look of that black inky mole! And Merida is at the top of my list of destinations!

1 Like

Sometimes the hardest part of making salsa is finding great dried chiles especially with Pasillas. Found these at a local carnicería, so aromatic i could smell them through the bag.

6 Likes

Nice!!! I get mine through Penzeys. Great quality.

4 Likes