What Makes A Great Salsa? Salsas and Mexican Cooking

I think it’s strange but I’m trying it next time

3 Likes

@js76wisco, :joy:

1 Like

Not strange at all, or at least not strange to me. Most salsas can also be used as cooking sauces.

2 Likes

I was once served warm salsa with diced potatoes in it in Taxco, Mexico.

1 Like

RD, are you using only chile de arbol in your salsa macha or are you using a blend of chiles. Also do you use nuts in yours?

@DiningDiva, the macha recipe I learned in CDMX used only morita chiles, garlic and oil.
However, I sometimes also use arbols to make it spicier. I have used nuts in my salsas, particularly the ones that have a lot of oil, but not as of yet in a macha. I think it could work quite well though!

Thx.

Peanuts work quite well, as does sesame.

I use mostly mortias as well, but I’ve seen quite a few recipes that use only chile de arbol, and some that use no moritas at all, which to me isn’t really salsa macha.

I was curious what you use since I’m probably going to process the end of my moritas into salsa macha either over the weekend or early next week. For me it’s kind of the little black dress of salsa-dom.

2 Likes

Question: do y’all make Salsa Verde all year long with conventionally raised tomatillos or just when they’re in season?

I use conventional and wash really well. I’ve never noticed much difference in flavor. Either way you really have to be choosy on what you pick.

When I can find really ripe purple tomatillos that’s a different story. They are great and make fantastic jam as well

4 Likes

Cool… I’m loving fresh salsa verde, right now.

1 Like

Say whaaat? I’ve never heard of these, thanks for making their existence known to me!

1 Like

I was trying to dig up a picture of the jam :open_mouth: It came out so good (this was years ago) Tomatillos are related to the gooseberry no extra pectin needed. Even at the FM it’s hard to get the farmers to pick them ripe enough that they turn purple worth the extra effort in choosing the best ones.

1 Like

I love that about tomatillos. It’s so rewarding to make a sauce that thickens itself so well.

I rarely get out to the farmers market but maybe I can convince my parents to grow them. I’m surprised I never saw them at Berkeley Bowl when I was in the Bay Area. Then again, they very likely could’ve had them but I didn’t even know they existed

2 Likes

Tomatillos are pretty much year round in San Diego, but as has been noted you have to pay attention to what you’re buying. I often peel back the papery husk to see what the fruit inside looks like, I also try to not choose tomatillos that are too big. I had the best luck buying them at Mexican markets

The ones that have purple on them are sometimes labeled as tomatillos del milpa, tomates del milpa or simply milpera. They’re small and intensely flavorful.

I agree with aaqjr, tomatillos make a surprisingly good jam. Super easy to make.

4 Likes

Soft or hard?

I haven’t seen any at Farmers Markets in a while @WireMonkey.

Firm but not hard. I also don’t want to see shriveled spots or other blemishes.

1 Like

my recollection is that they tend to show up early summer here in LA.

I look for no more than golf ball size but I like it to fill out the paper. Even when they are more ripe tomatillos are usually firm I don’t mind if they are turning yellowish either (more ripe)

1 Like

Chipotle in adobo, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and salt—some variation is found in most Mariscos shops (at least in SD), also great with vegetables as an alternative to ranch, etc

2 Likes

Yeah. Remember, Tomatillos lean more berry than tomato and are grown year around in Mexico… They are used all year around not only for salsas, but guisados… so it’s really a vital ingredient throughout Mexico…

3 Likes

A friend brought me these small Tomatillos so I started my way down the list with a simple Fresh Salsa Verde from elements of @Srsly & @DiningDiva’s posts.

I only had these small Thai chiles and thankfully decided to use just a couple. :fire::fire_extinguisher:

The only thing I’d do different next time is blend it a little longer to make it smoother and release more liquid. :hearts:

5 Likes