What Makes A Great Salsa? Salsas and Mexican Cooking

Love it, keep it coming. I too am on the search for homemade salsa tweaking. Really interesting in incorporating some nuts into mine as well.

1 Like

Thanks @not_tellin. Me too. My favorite salsa (chile de árbol) at Holbox in DTLA has peanuts. So hot but so good.

2 Likes

Btw quite a bit of Japanese salt is actually from Mexico. Lol so if you want Mexican salt ironically buy Japanese.

4 Likes

Cool

The espuma del mar from Colima is fantastic. Hard to find without going to Colima :yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

The japanese salt i got was from Guerrero Negro. I do have some Mexican salt from Colima that I got from Gonzalez Northgate (a house label I think) that is very good. They carry a fleur de sel type also from Colima but it’s quite a bit more expensive.

I have too much salt! lol but they are all really different.

3 Likes

I haven’t been to Northgate for a while (lockdowns and all). Thanks for giving me a reason to go see what salts my store carries.

The one i have has a crunchy texture like a french gray salt. So i tend to use it for brothy things. Curious to try the fancy one but have never pulled the trigger

2 Likes

I’m going to start making my own salsa. Never really tried before. Have access to great ingredients at the mega Northgate market in Whittier. This has been a great thread and will report back. In the meantime enjoy this selection of great salsa from Holbox, Sonoratown and Oro De La Puerta.

6 Likes

Me too @js76wisco. I am making my own but having really good access to really good salsas makes me lazy about it. I have a couple of really good pre-made in the fridge right now too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Making fresh salsa is super easy and once you get the hang of it and figure out what you like and don’t like, the possibilities are endless.

The game changes when you start doing salsas from dried chiles.

2 Likes

It was such a revelation for me to learn about using dried chiles for making salsas.

I get all my salsa supplies at the Northgate that is within walking distance for me. With covid, no bulk bins for the different dried chiles, instead they are packed up in bags. I’ve been keeping the guajilo and ancho as the standards in my pantry. Their fresh jalapenos, serrano, pasilla and tomatillos are also very inexpensive and good quality.

Their regular roja and ranchero are also pretty solid, so if in a hurry, can always just grab a tub.

For some casual potlucks, I’ve been known to get some carnitas from their hot bar, a pack of their house made tortillas and a tub of salsa. For non-FTC types, it’s impressive to show up with that and there’s no leftovers.

3 Likes

The Northgate in Whittier is so convenient. Great salsa bar, shredded cheese, flour tortillas and carnitas in one shot. We spend $25 and it feeds our family for 2 meals. I make the rice and beans at home but if you’re lazy you could pick those up as well.

One of the reasons why I’ve been lazy to make my own salsa is having to buy all the ingredients and worried it won’t be as good as the salsa at Northgate.

2 Likes

I’ve been shopping at my Northgate for years and I’ve always been happy with the quality of fruits and vegetables for inexpensive. For our needs, I get the bulk of those two items there and supplement from farmer’s markets.

And yeah, have definitely done a quick meal from the hot bar. I also like their 10 pc leg and thigh deal that comes with tortillas and salsa. That’s also handy for some food on the go for a group,

That’s the beauty of the inexpensive quality ingredients they have available, you can practice and custom to your own taste with little risk!

2 Likes

Hi @Jase -

I think even some FTC types would like it. My cousin who’s a great cook turned me onto Northgate’s Roasted Chicken Meals for parties and easy weeknight dinners. Idk if they’re still doing it because of C19 but the location in Ktown used to roast (by fire?) the chickens outside and the smell is :kissing_closed_eyes:.

Ditto

2 Likes

Oh gosh, look into their 10 pc leg and thigh deal that comes with tortillas and salsa. It’s really 5 leg quarters and you can grab your choice of salsa from their case or ask them to dish you up something from the salsa bar.

Last I looked, they were still offering that as a Wed special for only $10! It’s fantastic for something quick to feed a group. If I’m doing it for a group, I’ll grab extra salsa and tortillas.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jase. I’ve even been one of the lazy ones and included their Beans & Rice. :relaxed:

1 Like

I just pulled this book out of storage. Wanted to say it has some really great salsa advice and recipes. just made his jalisco style guajillo salsa because i had everything already. (used dried hatch) -pretty good taqueria style salsa

edit: why isn’t this tread in home cooking? just curious took me a minute to find it

2 Likes

I think it should be in Home Cooking too.

The carnitas in Truly Mexican are truly delicious. It’s the only way I make them now.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check out the recipe!