What Makes A Great Salsa? Salsas and Mexican Cooking

My favorite! I would devour these as a kid when we hit up the cafe at Sanborns in Tijuana as a kid

Funny I don’t think I’ve ever tried to make them myself

3 Likes

I love them too. They are remarkably easy to make and since the recipe I used was based on a restaurant recipe and service it just kind of flowed.

You shoul give them a go.

2 Likes

Looks great. Like @aaqjr I’ve never tried to make them at home. Hmmm :thinking:

1 Like

Deleted: sorry wrong thread.

Looks easy enough found this recipe online

1 Like

Thanks! I think I can decipher it, lol. Let the googling begin!

1 Like

If you have any questions just ask

1 Like

I will. I trust ya’. I’m still using the CliffsNotes version of that Chili Champ recipe you posted. So good. :yum:

1 Like

A can of creama Nestle and two scoops of knorr suisa… that is a true Mexican recipe… LOL!!

3 Likes

That it is :grin: I laughed when I read that

That’s a cheaters recipe. The salsa verde and the cream are separate, not blended together.

1 Like

I’ve always liked it blended together personally. That’s how I remember it at Sanborns. :man_shrugging: to me the other way is an enchilada verde with a little crema on top.

I do realize that may be controversial

1 Like

Delfín roasts a whole fifty or sixty pound suckling pig

By a time a pig weighs 50 lbs., it’s past the suckling stage.

http://yosoydenayarit.com/puerco-tatemado-estilo-acaponeta/

Cool. Anyone familiar with mustard salsa(s)? Sounds delicious with that not sucking pig.

That recipe I linked to seems fairly consistent with the few others I found. Interesting to know the history, presumably prepared mustard is a relatively recent arrival. Maybe somebody from South Carolina suggested it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=acaponeta+mostaza&oq=acaponeta+mostaza

Tinga de Pollo…the “little black dress” of Mexican cooking? Dress it up or dress it down, it goes with everything

7 Likes

22, I was gifted 22 serranos. Suggestions?

A friend suggested fermenting some of them which I do find intriguing.
Escabeche is always an option but I find the jar always seems to end up in the back of the fridge and I forget about it.
I’m also considering doing some Baja-style, charred and then doused with soy sauce, lime juice and salt. Those won’t last long :grin:

Yeah, I could make guacamole and salsa but there’s more to chiles than guac and salsa.

We are down to 21 serranos. I used one in a risotto tonight. Nice and not overly spicy.

3 Likes

Fermenting is fun. Slice them thin, salt 2 Tablespoons per pound, mix well then water to cover. Usually about 2 weeks at room temp will do it. But you can start checking after a week.

1 Like

Seeds or no seeds? Or some seeds?

Yes, I know this is a subjective question and that the heat in chiles varies. I also know that serranos haven’t been hybridized to death and most can still retain a good kick.

1 Like

My momma says never de-seed serranos so that’s what I do, but you do you!

1 Like