What my new toy did!

For Christmas I asked for this, http://www.fourneauoven.com/, which my lovely wife obligingly gifted me with. BTW, just in case it comes up, I have no affiliation with the company and no financial interest in it. I tried it with pizza the other night with decent results. Tonight I tried it with bread…best bread I have ever tasted - even in Paris. So light, so crisp, so incredibly good.

Just for street cred I launched Peter Reinhart’s career. We were working together at a retreat center in Sonoma County when I made slow rise French bread (my dad was a big Julia Childs fan). I gave Peter the recipe and he won the gold medal for best baked good at the Sonoma County Harvest Fair. I entered the next year and got a silver ribbon for the second best bread. I knew something was up. Several James Beard awards later he is baking bread and pizza and I am working in the entertainment industry. So it goes.

Nevertheless this thing turned out wonderful bread. Just wanted to share it with you all.

1 Like

How do you use that thing? Preheat it like a pizza stone?

Exactly. At least 45 minutes at 485.

How long did those loaves take?

18 hour rise, but I slowed them down in the fridge. 15 minutes with insert closed then 15 minutes on my pizza steel which was on shelf under oven insert.

With the oven at 485 that whole time?

Yes. Normally when I do French bread I follow Julia Child’s advice and leave it in a turned off oven for 15 minutes or so to dry the loaf out so it stays crisp. Wasn’t necessary with this.