What’s your current favorite place to dine solo in LA < $100?

The Boston lettuce salad and the bread. I could live on those. Also, the mussels, any fish, the tartare, and of course, l’omellete:

Edit: I forgot to mention the ham and butter sandwich, which is the best sandwich in Los Angeles.

4 Likes

My solo dining is generally when ebethsmom goes out with the girls. My favorite is the http://www.bluedogbeertavern.com/ because, well its not really solo dining

, I have this wonderful dining companion. The burgers, beer and service are great. However they don’t have heating on the deck so its been a while since we have been there. Well under $100.

7 Likes

I will be dining out solo a couple times over the next few weeks, so I would like to revive this thread!

So far, the following places have been recommended in this thread:

• The Joint
  • Dune
  • Proof
  • Tacos Villa Corona
  • Mariscos Jalisco
  • La Unica
  • Pizzanista
  • Art + Fish
  • Dry River Brewing
  • Tacos Don Cuco
  • Los Originales Tacos Arabes
  • Holbox
  • majordomo
  • osteria mozza
  • chi spacca
  • pizzeria mozza
  • bestia
  • Marisco Jalisco / La Unica bang bang
  • Konbi (Pastries)
  • Birrieria Gonzalez / Churros Don Abel bang bang
  • Napa Rose
  • Tokyo Fried Chicken
  • HiPPO
  • McDonalds
  • Carnitas El Momo
  • Petit Trois
  • Shin Sushi

Recently I have seen mentions of The Girl and The Goat.
Anywhere else to recommend since this was created in 2019?

6 Likes

Adding to your (nice) list:

Iki Ramen (Ktown)
Ham Ji Park (Ktown)
Cafe Angelino (by Cedars-SInai)
Shaherzad (Tehrangeles)
Kiriko Sushi (Sawtelle)

further east: Most of the Asian restaurants in the SGV will be within budgetary striking range. Northern Cafe (Monterey Park), Taipei Bistro or Kingburg Kitchen (both in San Gabriel), Borneo Kalimantan (Alhambra).

5 Likes

Majordomo
Osteria Mozza
Genwa

Petit Trois whenever they reopen for inside dining.

I would not dine solo at Chi Spacca again. Even for two people the portions are huge. Really best with four.

1 Like

Thanks for the recs, @J_L This is a good one! I have not been there yet. Long overdue

2 Likes

Warrior:

Additions:
Eszett (bar)
Redbird (bar)

Actually, I’m happy to eat anywhere solo, with one exception – Chinese restaurants that only have gigantic round tables with white tablecloths. Then I do feel a little awkward. But I’ve done it many times anyway.

1 Like

shibumi
hakata izakaya hero

3 Likes

Two of my favorites! But I think you knew that… haha

1 Like

I have not been to Eszett yet!

forgot kazunori
jon & vinny’s
kali

3 Likes

needle followed by a bang bang with Pearl River Deli would be perfect!

7 Likes

PRD is closed at Far East Plaza until the reopen in their new location. @JLee is on a well-deserved trip to SG right now. Wishing him epic chow. Wu-Tang.

5 Likes

Warrior: Mmm durian cendol.

I think you need to take into account which FTCers are making the suggestions. Unless you are of @J_L or @PorkyBelly legendary bang bang status I think these places are tough for solo diners. I would need at least one other person to be able to order a bunch of dishes.
Majordomo
Osteria mozza
Chi spacca
Pizzeria mozza
Bestia
Hamji Park

The fact that everybody didn’t have a problem with you trying to sneak in McDonalds on the list. I’ll add these
Father’s Office
Howlin Rays - bring some beers
Moo’s Craft BBQ
Matu - never been but $78 waygu tasting is on my radar

7 Likes

Warrior: I feel like Peony and I are the only champions of Eszett here. But I like it more than several board favorites, after several visits. I like it better than the now-closed Here’s Looking at You, which was in a similar “bold-flavored and eclectic” food genre and got more acclaim. (Of course, the cocktails at HLAY were in a different league.)

2 Likes

Believe it or not, it was @moonboy403 that added it to the list. I just copied/pasted the previous recommendations from this thread.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten at Majordomo and Osteria Mozza solo lots of times. It’s easy to order too many dishes, but you don’t have to. Both have lots of vegetable dishes so you can order more things without entering wafer-thin-mint territory.

Genwa’s a new favorite, it’s the only Korean place I know where a solo diner gets a full array of banchan.

1 Like

I’ve quietly left out F.O. (SM and Helms locations) 'cuz since the start of the pandemic, I’ve not had good bites there.

3 Likes

Haha. I would have guessed @Gr8pimpin.

2 Likes