What to make with Chicken Wings?

I got WAY too many from Costco. I have baked them a bazillion times with all different types of seasonings and sauces. I’ve deep fried them, fried them, air fried them. had them with Honey BBQ, honey mustard, lemon chicken, sweet and sour, teriyaki chicken wings. You name it. Is there any other way to make chicken wings?

1 Like

I love grilling them. Here is a link to a Chinese style preparation, Sichuan-Style Shao Kao (Chinese BBQ, 烧烤) | The Mala Market.
“Flavors of the Southeast Asian Grill” has two excellent recipes for grilled wings; unfortunately there is no online text. It’s a great cookbook though.
Of course you can always do Buffalo wings if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Maybe chicken stock?

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicken%20wings%20stuffed%20with%20noodles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

1 Like

+1 on chicken stock. Lots of collagen in those things.

1 Like

I made some bangin’ wings this weekend that were this close to OB Bear’s. Dry the wings and pat with salt and baking powder for extra crispiness. Cook for about an hour at 450 on a wire rack turning once 3/4 of the way through cooking before tossing in sauce at the end.

I just winged it (excuse the pun) for the sauce, but as I recall I used a much higher proportion of superfine minced ginger to garlic which might have been the key. Otherwise, pretty basic, gochujang, sesame oil, drop of soy, maple syrup, sesame seeds and a good hit of rice vinegar.

1 Like

Kenji discusses the baking-soda trick.

I had great success smoking the chicken wings for the Super Bowl. Marinated in huli huli sauce for one batch and hot sauce for another. They were delicious. I think we smoked them at 220…crap…can’t remember how long. No longer than 2 hours.

5 Likes
2 Likes

You could try moist heat methods like a Japanese hot pot or a Sichuan red braise.

Also:

https://www.eater.com/22410474/expert-butchers-test-out-10-different-chicken-wing-recipes

Thank you all. I ended up trying Kenji’s method and that was good. The rest I will leave frozen and probably make a broth.

2 Likes

If you have way too much time on your hands try these! Haven’t made them but I do have the recipe saved. The wings are confit’d, deboned, stuffed with chz, breaded and fried!! From Chef Marcel Vigneron

Boneless chicken wings with fancy sauce, blue cheese injection and micro celery

Note: Vigneron uses Cheddar flavor Popchips.

Serves: 4

Fancy sauce:

1 cup mayonnaise

1 oz. sambal

1 oz. sriracha

salt to taste

1. For the sauce, combine the mayonnaise, sambal and siracha and add salt to taste. Set aside.

Chicken wings and assembly:

½ gallon blended oil

16 chicken wings, middle joint only

aromatics

1 whole garlic head

1/2 bunch of fresh thyme

1 fresh bay leaf

1 sprig of fresh rosemary

1 cup Maytag blue cheese, at room temperature

1 cup Wondra flour

1 cup egg wash

1 1/2 cups Cheddar Popchips, ground

1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs

micro celery

1. In a large sauce pan, heat the oil to 200 degrees. Season the chicken wings liberally with salt and place in oil with aromatics, making sure that they are fully submerged.

2. Monitor the heat so that it stays at a gentle simmer and cook the wings for approximately 1 hour.

3. While the chicken is cooking, take the tempered blue cheese and whip with the paddle attachment until creamy and smooth, put the mixture into a piping bag and set aside.

4. After an hour, remove one wing from the oil to check for doneness. Break the remaining cartilage from the joints and wiggle the bones backwards and forwards: they should be slide out easily. Make sure to keep the bottom skin intact as it will make cooking later easier and cleaner. Continue to remove bones while chicken wings are warm.

5. Once bones are removed, fill with the blue cheese, making sure to keep the cheese within the natural casing of the chicken, as excess cheese will burn in the oil. Heat the pot of oil to 350 degrees.

6. Once the wings are filled, dredge in first in wondra flour, then the egg wash and finally in a mixture of the panko and ground POP chips. Deep fry the breaded wings until golden brown.

7. Serve the wings with fancy sauce and micro celery.

2 Likes

Now that is a recipe!

2 Likes

Right! I really want to try it looks doable if you divide the work up into 3 days maybe lol

1 Like

Unfortunately my wife hates blue cheese. Still I may try it and substitute sharp cheddar for her. Really an intriguing recipe. Thanks for posting it!

1 Like